Close

Thread: The missing fox

Default The missing fox

I've looked around for a while and it seems to me that nobody ever talks about the Mercury Monarch. My grandmother on my dad's side of the family had a white one with tan vinal interior, inline 6 and a 3-speed automatic. The car was nearly bomb proof. She drove it daily for many years and never had any major problems with it.

My uncle on my mom's side bought the car and drove it a long time after - not sure but I think he may still have it.

The car was a gutless wonder but got decent mpg and made at least 4 trips that I know of from NE Nebraska to the black hills-- 85 mph speedometer buried most of the way. Grandma had a bit of a lead foot and didn't always put up with letting cruise control get here where she was going eventually.

It never did burn or leak any oil back when I was helping service it.

Having worked on my Mustang along with some Fairmonts and others along the way...... it seems to me that I learned to work on the brakes on Grandma's car. The Mercury Monarch may just be a forgotten fox.

Seems to me hers was an 80. Single rectangular headlight on each side so it wasn't a four eye.... but neither were some of the Tbirds, etc, we include here.

I haven't seen one identical to hers ever. There were a few that are close. Some even 2 door. But it was rare to have AC and cruise and have a metal only roof. I would have to do some serious digging to find pictures of hers. It was similar to this
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by erratic50; 11-22-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Monarch was not built on the Fox platform.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

X-shell is what it is internally; it wasn't this was it?

See http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...anada-question

In that reference, is "History of Ford's Falcon Platform from Falcon to Versailles in 18 different wheelbase length and track width variations"....

Last was made in 1999 in Australia and 1996 in Sout America.

I've had the 4.1 liter X shells like this beside my XLT Explorer....

Ford got mileage outta that X shell platform...

1968 J code 230 hp 4v 302 Mercury Maruader MX

1968 Torino 302 4-bbl

Every pressing underneath is similar, with the same hard coil over A arm IFS, recirculating ball steering, Sterling 9, 8.7 or or Sao Paulo 8", and the same 1966 Falcon /Fairmont frame rail width. Wheelbase and tracks and lenghts varied.

The Fox body Mercury Cougar and Granada were the X shell replacements, it died in the USA 1980 Model Year, and the Foxes were a quantum leap in ride, handling, NVH reduction, and vastly reduced door rattling and had much more accurate steering, while still maintaining the legandary "Throw A way car" X shell reliabilty.

One correction, the Blue Mercury convertible above is a Montego, not Marauder. Marauder was always based
    on a full-size Ford platform (Panther in the final iteration).
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

FEP Senior Member

Monarch was Mercurys version of a Ford Granada, more based on a Maverick platform, nothing at all similar to a FOX chassis.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

My parents had a Mercury Monarch, I think it was a late 70's edition. It had a 302 / auto with round front headlights. Tan on tan.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

It's soooo forgotten that it's not even a Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    One correction, the Blue Mercury convertible above is a Montego, not Marauder. Marauder was always based
    on a full-size Ford platform (Panther in the final iteration).
    Yes!!!

That reminds me of the infamous KOMO News car, the car that survived the Mt Saint Helens eruption in 1980.

That day:

Still around as a faded tourist attraction in a parking lot.