Close

Default Need help with T5 identification

I got got this T5 from my boss for free and I need some help identifying it. It has a tag, the number is 1352 253 12264, which means that it should be an aftermarket 94-95 T5. But I also know that that can easily be changed out. The trans has Tremec written all over it and the following numbers:

Main- 1352 065 922
    Tail- 1352 066 939
    Cover- just says Tremec

Is this really a 94-95 T5? Here are a few pics of it next to my old 87 T5, the one in question is the much cleaner one. Any advice would be great.

Btw it also has a weird rubber vent on top, not the usual skinny plastic one.

Thanks
    Mike

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by EXPOfoo85LTD_LX; 11-21-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Here's the info I have for T5 identification by the tag:

Looks like the last one listed, -253...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Ok, I'm a fool. Upon closer inspection of my own pics I see that it's a 251, not 253, SMH. It works out better in my favor because I need a fox style T5, but it seems like the numbers on the the cases are off.

Tremec didn't start making T-5s and parts until after 1997/98.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Looks line it has an electronic Speedo hook up, that makes it a 99 up sn-95 t-5. Pretty much makes it a v-6 trans.

Thats good though. You get the 3.35 1st gear and a .68 od ratio and the 98.5 up transmissions are supposedly just as strong as the 89-93 gt stuff.

Get any 94 up bell housing, I wouldnt waste the money on a "rare" 94-95 gt one. Just get a regular old v-6 one and run a 164t flywheel and a 11" clutch. I used f-150 junk, but there is a ton of aftermarket stuff that fits.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Hmm, maybe not. It has the neutral switch in the cover... Not sure what it is. Measure the input shaft length and make sure its not a digital Speedo hook up.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

It's Tremec version for the Motorsport T5z.. Very desirable for a semi-mild setup. Last one I had I sold for around $700 just as you have it sitting there. Nice find.

http://transmission.moderndriveline....mission-p1.htm
    Last edited by Ourobos; 11-22-2017 at 03:02 AM.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Wow! Thanks for all of the info guys! I just built a nice mild 302 for my LTD and I was reluctant to put my old 169 T5 behind it, the input shaft on that thing has so much slop in it. I guess now I have nothing to worry about, this 251 feels nice and tight.

I think I owe my boss a beer or something....