Close

Default Indy pace car tailpipe

Can these Indy tailpipes be had? Pretty sure these are a one year only deal.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

Yep, 1979 and 1980 deal only.

[QUOTE=xctasy;1725702].......The 79-80 Turbo 4 and 79-Pc and Cobra 80 V8 cars had the same tips...angled down compared to the '82-84GT tips. When the 1982 RS or GT was specified with an automatic transmission V8, the RS or GT got downgraded to the 2.73 or 3.08 axle 4.2 with dual tip exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss 429 View Post
    When I bought a oem Exaust system (Cat back) for my 1980 V8 Cobra (same exaust as the 1979 Pace car) in 1982, My dealer had to order it and when it did come in,It was one unit from the Cat to the tips, including muffler, (No heat Sheilds on muffler were included) and the worst part was The DUAL TIPS were NOT CHROME! I called the dealer and They said "No longer available in chrome tips!, This was in late 1982! I did cut off the tips back towards the muffer where they were one pipe, and had them chrome plated, They are on the car to this day, but getting rather tired, I have been looking for a nos 1980 V8 Mustang exaust system for 20 years now.
    All photo's http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...49#post1581549

The return of the 5.0 GT had the 4.2 auto and 5.0 set up with a new dual tail pipe, the GLX 5.0 also got it, any HO 5.0. Different kind

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Pace Car pipes come out at a downward angle in relation to the lower edge of the bumper. '82-84 GT tails bend upward more so that they come out more parallel to the lower edge of the bumper...thus two different tails, although both are dual tip chrome. Obviously they are both interchangeable, but both have an angle cut-off at the tips. I think it is the exit angle of the tips themselves that is confusing the issue of whether or not the "cut-off" is flush or angled. Stand to the side of a PC and the pipes appear to be dead straight coming from over the axel. From the side of an '82-84GT you can see where the tail comes down from over the axel and then bends up to exit out parallel.

I'm sure somebody can post similar pics of an all original PC from similar angles...but here is the '82-84 GT tip.

After Ford stopped making them as New Old Stock in 1980, Cyclone made crome plated tips for 25 dollars each for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    See Car and Drivers October 1981 4.2 Windsor 160 HP Quad Exhast 4-bbl AOD Mercury Capri Exhaust

Plenty of space if you use the factory hangers for even a quad exhast.

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...Oct81_2_02.jpg
    http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...Oct81_2_04.jpg

Walker made a repro of the 82 style for a while but I can't even find them anymore.

The tips on mine are good but the pipe is rusted. I might try to find a new pipe and just weld my tips on...
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

I did something similar, I started with a stock LX tail pipe and added (welded) an aftermarket chrome tip for my 82 GT:
    Sorry - these are the only images I have that are shareable...

Last edited by JTurbo; 11-21-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Tailpipes like mine on the '82 GT pictured above can be found from time to time on ebay. I scored one a few years back. Never seen the Pace Car version as NOS on ebay. There is a company that reproduces the tip as well that is more OEM correct to the 82GT than what JT used above (not saying what he did is bad)...you just need a decent OEM or Walker taipipe to work with....https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wesdon-Exha...xU7H7q&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 11-21-2017 at 02:33 PM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

FEP Power Member

The twin chrome tips were used up through the 1984 model year. Is there any interest in having them reproduced? This would be a tail pipe with a twin chrome tip. I rent had a discussion with one of Ford ‘s suppliers.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

It would be a really limited market. Just for the weirdos who keep things stock. Most do the dual exhaust thing. I'd say the tip is more important than the tailpipe is and that one in the ebay link is pretty close.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

I didn’t even realize there were 2 types of the tail pipe. I’ve always thought that the tip on my Turbo Pace Car was a service part. Looked at it closer today and sure enough, it’s an original welded setup.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Actually, I think there were at least 3 types of chromed twin tips ... see post 18 of the following thread. Then, there is the debate about whether or not some of these came with muffler-like inserts.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...al-tips-needed
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

Nice work, Saturn V. I have tried many times to "wayback machine" your Air Fuel ratio post pictures.....

You and gr79 have got some neat stuff

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1641647

I took more detailed pics underneath each of brackets, mountings. They all appeared untouched OEM.

It is possible another oem variation could have been installed over the years. Thinking about the early straight cut tips.
    Sometimes vendor supply/production problems result in a batch of oem parts slightly different than the normal run.
    Tooling problems, production error, material, sub component availability.
    If they met spec overall, Ford could approve them for shipment until the normal spec ones were available.
    Have to keep the line running. Visual miscue here would not be a real critical reason for halting production.