Close

Default Brake Line Connections on Proportioning Valve

I am getting my brakes finally sorted out. I swapped rear cobra disk brakes into my 85, and have a Cobra master cylinder, and all new brake hoses/tubing. I am having a tough time making sure that I get all of my lines in the right places, and I ran into an issue I can't find anyone referencing. The rear port that points to the firewall.... I think I need to plug it, but not sure. I gutted the stock prop valve, and plugged the front end, and am using a Ford Performance adjustable prop valve over on the passenger side instead of the union fitting normally there.

Can anyone tell me if I am supposed to plug the rear port on the stock prop valve?

Finally, here is the image I was using to connect my hoses, I have all of the hoses shown in this pic, and from what I can tell, I jhave labeled the ports correctly, let me know if I missed anything.

Name:  adapting-tubes-to-cobra-mc-with-notes.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  76.7 KB
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

The drivers side front would go there. Then get rid of the tee.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

I wonder why all of the kits have that tee, if you can eliminate it by just plumbing your brake line into the back of the stock prop valve? I have the 87 to 93 front brake tubes, and they fit like the pic shows, maybe if I went back to my old 1985 front brake hose it would do like you mention.

I was mostly using the master cylinder tubes that they sent with the front tubes to work with the Cobra MC, so if there isn't a logical reason to run the Tee, then eliminating it is an option.
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

87-93 prop valve doesn’t have a rear port so they connect like you have it. The earlier valves don’t use the tee.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

Ok, now that connects a lot of dots

I had no idea, but it makes total sense. Thanks for clarifying

If it were me, I'd find a couple unions and eliminate your stock proportioning valve. Clean things up.

As said, the drivers front line on '86-below originally attached to the rear port on the PV.

The '87+ used a 3-port master cylinder. The drivers front line attached to a port on the bottom of the MC. Looks like you've basically done the 3-2 port conversion that the '87+ guys do with disc conversions.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

A union yes. So you have the double flare on the lines. PLEASE don't use a compression fitting. I have seen this too many times and it's just not safe.

Mabry I'm completely off here, but I have the same m.c. on my 79. Front m.c. line to front prop valve and rear m.c. line to rear prop valve position. Then the three lines out of the prop to where they go, I had to redo both fronts to match up with the sn caliper to soft line brackets. I bought short brake lines with iso flares on them and cut off the other ends, and reflared them to go from the sn m.c. into the fox prop valve