Close

Default 84 Coupe Comes Back

It’s been an interesting two years for me. I bought an 84 coupe shell, was going to do a modFox conversion using my 96 GT as the donor car. Enter my youngest son, who traded a 93 hatch for an 85 customized hatch. He ran into some financial problems, traded me the 85 for my 96 and the 84 coupe . He just bought an 94 coupe and is now going to do the modFox on it using the 96 GT as the Donner. My 84 coupe he gave back to me. My direction now is to take the 302 and trans from the 85, put it into the 84 coupe using the wiring and other parts from my sons 84 that he won’t be using. Basically, I’ll have a stock 84 coupe when I’m done.

I hope to be posting here here in the spring on my progress. I first have to get my sons coupe built, since his is painted and mine isn’t.

Jim

Man, you got my head spinning with all that! But good luck on the build.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Sounds like some fun projects, 94 with 96 drivetrain and an 84 with 85 drivetrain. The coupes have gained a lot of traction over the years. Nice stiff chassis and very clean looking with a flat hood and no wing or body kit. Good Luck with the swaps, post updates when you can.

Mike
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999

My sons 84 is a SSP out of the Austin DPS barracks. There’s not much of the SSP stuff left. We started stripping the wiring out today. Luckily it’s an unmolested harness. Nice black paint, interior is good, so I’m making out

jim

Thought I'd post a couple pictures of my son's SSP coupe, since I can't make any progress on mine until I get his junk out of my garage. Nice straight car, good black paint. After that things get not so great. The PO was going to pro-street it, I think and was lacking skills to do it right, so we have some work to do. The good news is I get the interior, wiring and other bits to make my 84 coupe mostly original, including the front bumper. He is going to use the 85-85 GT bumper I have. Now I have an 84 LX bumper and an 84 1/2 GT bumper (plus fog light mounting bar) to sell.

Name:  Justin's 84.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  175.2 KBName:  Justin's 84c.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  119.5 KB

Say the first part of this story 10 times really fast

My head hurts if I think about it too much. I’m a NCRS 200-level judge (got my red hat) so stock is always what I’d like to go with. My 84 will never be “correct”, but it can be close. My son, on the other hand, cares not about the whole thing. At least it will stay a 4-eye. He loves the look as well, so he picked up somethin* from me

Jim

Wishing all a safe and happy Thanksgiving. I’ve received a lot of good advice and support from this forum and appreciate it very much

Happy Thanksgiving

Jim

Jim,
    I hope that you had a great Thanksgiving also. It sure was a beautiful day for it. I spent part of it outdoors frying the turkey's and the afternoon indoors watching our hapless Cowboys get torn apart again.

That '84 coupe sure does look good on the outside. As a fellow '84 coupe owner I don't know why anyone would want a different nose, that one just looks good. At least it will stay on the road. I'm just down the road in Plano and do get over your way occasionally. Would love to see the coupe at some time.

As for the nose's, I had eyeballed the '84.5 GT nose that SaturnV had for sale. If you do plan to part with it I am interested and we can discuss via PM.

Jonathan
    Last edited by slow84lx; 11-24-2017 at 09:12 AM.

With the ‘boys I try to remember that wise old saying. I think it was Will Rogers who said it best

”There’s always next year”

����

Woot! Woot!