Close

Default keep 4180 or new carb??

My '85 just had a major redo, engine overhaul, new paint, etc.. I am the original owner and I am keeping it stock as possible, I was going to have my 4180 carb rebuilt again (done by Pony carbs years ago). Since I am trying to keep stock, is it worth it to keep the original carb or is there an equivalent aftermarket to at least keep the stock appearance? No mods on the car at all, specifically no power mods.
    Thanks,
    Paul
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Holley 4180 5 Sp all stock!
    1957 Willy's CJ 5, 283 small block
    2004 F150 4x4 Lariat
    2017 Porsche Macan
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS

I would freshen up the ole 4180 yourself, or have it done by somebody that is competent at doing so.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Did you like the way it ran when when the carb was freshly re-built? Cold driveablility? Any hesitation when shifting? If no issues, stay with what you have. If you go with something new, definitely keep ALL your 4180c related parts & smog stuff in a box.
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

Going through mine now. When I rebuilt it back in 2011 it was so smooth and really felt like fuel injection. Going to make a few adjustments and run it again...until this darn oxygenated fuel gets the better of it again.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I have minor mods on my ‘85 such as msd, shorty headers, flow master exhaust. Carb has not been rebuilt I 15 years. Timing is bumped up so cold start take a few extra cranks. Once warmed up, idles like a fuelie.

Is there somewhere with step by step instructions? Which rebuild kit? Back in 92, I rebuilt it. It has been a while, don’t want to skip a step or screw it up. I have the ford manuals, I assume rebuild is in there? Also, wasn’t there something about the kits using a check ball valve in place of something original??
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Holley 4180 5 Sp all stock!
    1957 Willy's CJ 5, 283 small block
    2004 F150 4x4 Lariat
    2017 Porsche Macan
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS

look on u tube. I looked at several there for my carb and felt much better about doing it myself. Although mine isnt stock.

Holley rebuild kit number 3-1346. About $50 at Summit.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Don't forget these instructions.... ACCESS to all idle mixture screws. Whatever Ford was doing in '85 has absolutely nothing to do with what you are doing today. During idle, the secondary should contribute VERY LITTLE to the idle air:fuel mixture, like 1/4 turn out on those secondary idle mixture mixture screws. More important is removing them all and cleaning everything very well, and replacing the idle mixture screw o-rings.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

I generally end up with the screws a bit farther out than that, using the propane enrichment method to get all
    four barrels contributing equally at idle, but I agree, you don't want too much contribution from the secondaries,
    or you'll end up with a stubborn part-throttle flat spot.

One other thing the propane enrichment method has taught me, you generally do not end up with the screws
    equal turns out on both sides. On the primaries, part of that has to do with the air bleed in the passenger side
    bore for the partial manifold vacuum that's applied to the ported vacuum feed at idle. The rest comes down to
    mixture distribution in the intake manifold.

When removing the mixture screw plugs, I like to make the job as invisible as possible, by drilling 1/8" holes up
    through the bottom of the baseplate to intersect with the back edge of the plugs. Then drive the plugs out with
    a small punch. The plugs sit about 1/4" deep in the mixture screw bores, and have a slight chamfer on the edge
    that's in the hole.

Another alternative is to put 1/8" holes into the center of the plugs themselves, using a Dremel carbide bullnose
    bit, cutting oil, and patience. Then back the screws out to push out the plugs.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune