Close

Default repainting lower Gray on a 1986

is it SEM39153 and/or DCC33717 And how much did you use? I'm looking at having to buy a Gallon at $497 or the body shop is saying 17 Cans of SEM 39153 at $17 a can. I would think the DCC would look better then the spray cans.

Either way seems expensive.
    Last edited by plumkrazy; 11-16-2017 at 11:40 AM.
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Why so much paint???? It shouldn't take more than a quart to paint all the outside trim.

Have to paint body molding, all window trim, sail panel ,rear wing, and ground effects all 4 sides and the lower part of the body. It's almost half the car by the time we are done.

Update- Going with SEM cans

I don't see it taking a gallon of paint to paint all of those items. I can generally paint an entire Mustang with less than a gallon and have left over paint even when doing the jambs, engine bay, etc.

A single quart of paint should be easily make at least 1.5 quarts sprayable or even 2 quarts sprayable when reduced/activated. That should be plenty, especially if all of the parts have been primed/sealed with a similar grey primer/sealer. Greys cover very well and generally shouldn't take more than two coats for full coverage. I personally have never used more than a quart of color for the trim on the Mustang/Capri even when doing heavy trim cars such as the 85/86 SVO.

I haven't sprayed an DCC in awhile, but IIRC that is an activated paint, so you mix ratio should be 4-1-1, 4-2-1, 4-1-2 or something like that depending on what exactly you are doing with it. Therefore you should easily have 1.5 quarts of sprayable material which should be enough to do everything. I just recommend spraying everything at the same time to make sure you don't waste material. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Trey,

was hoping you would chime in. It's my understanding that the Gallon is premixed(ready to spray). Mind you I'm getting the facts 2nd hand(long story) . the painter shot some of the SEM and really likes it. Plus it will work better for me when doing the window trim and small odds and ends.

17 cans of SEM, yikes! My index finger hurts just thinking about that much spray paint!

In all seriousness, Jeff (CapriMan) shot the lower 1/3rd of his Capri with SEM. Shoot him a PM. Maybe he can provide some guidance.....

JT
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Kinda at the mercy of the painter. Now he is going to use a 1qt of paint. Did not like how thick the SEM was going down.Will be glad when this is over

SEM is OK....just OK. I've sprayed a bunch of it and it holds up well for being acrylic based. Typically the prepackaged ready for use product is very thin, but still covers well. I think it's a bit outdated in the world of catalyzed urethanes we now live in. Acrylic based paints are brittle by nature and should be protected with stone/chip guard where exposed to road debris coming off the tires. A better option for your application would be a catalyzed urethane product, single or two stage, with a flattening agent mixed in to achieve the desired sheen. Just my $.02...All the best!
    '67 Shelby GT500 428 4spd. (owned for 32yrs. SOLD 11/26/2011. A sad day $$$$. Pics in my album!

'83 Capri 5.0 4spd. ASC McLaren Sport Pkg.(1983 Indy 500 Speed Week Motorcraft sponsored parade car) Original paint. Pics in my album! (SOLD 11/11/2017)

'79 Capri RS 5.0 52,000mi. Total molestation! (1300 man/hrs.) Build Pics in 3 albums!

I was in the same position as you back a half dozen years ago in that the guy who painted my car wanted to simply utilize a satin black. I researched and wound up going with a commercial grade Sherwin Williams automotive product. This product is utilized by companies like Coca Cola, Budweiser, etc. because of the ease of labor and longevity of the product. My painter agreed to spray the paint if I brought it to him. So I pulled a piece of trim that sat inside a covered storage facility for years and was like new...came off an 86 GT vert that was totaled after 6 months old. I had them color match the piece and then had my painter do some test sprays until the color was spot on.

The car still looks like it was just picked up from the paint shop all these years later and I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. If you do a search, you can find my process and the product proportions utilized.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by plumkrazy View Post
    Trey,

was hoping you would chime in. It's my understanding that the Gallon is premixed(ready to spray). Mind you I'm getting the facts 2nd hand(long story) . the painter shot some of the SEM and really likes it. Plus it will work better for me when doing the window trim and small odds and ends.
    All I am going to say is that $497 for a gallon sprayable of a non metallic non pearl gray is STUPID $$. Not calling you that, but there is NO WAY I would ever spend that kind of coin for something like that.

Interior paint has gone thru the roof in recent years due to one of the chemicals in the paint, and even that doesn't cost that kind of $$. I purchased a gallon sprayable of an interior grey for my 2004 F250 and that was less than $100.

I personally don't mind SEM paints, but agree with all the comments on its durability and longevity. I don't use rattle cans when spraying large areas or large amounts of items due to color matching issues and its just plain expensive. I understand painters get picky and like to do things their way or the same way, but any painter that wants to paint that much area with rattle cans would concern me personally. I would never do it because there are too many inherent issues that can cause problems for him and you in the long run. Respray a piece of trim here and there with a rattle can is to be expected, but when redoing the entire car and multiple pieces, that just a disaster waiting to happen. Glad the decision to go with the quart on that was made. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller