Close

Default Muffler orientation?

I need to get some mufflers and stuff put under my '83 GT. Currently I am running long tube headers and glass-pack (PO) that dump about under the seats. I have tailpipes off a '86 GT that I want to use and am thinking of running Flowmaster super 44's. So my question is what orientation of the mufflers do I need, offset-offset, or offset-center. And how was the system routed from the factory, I have a feeling that it ran in the driveshaft tunnel and stuff.

Also is there anything I need to look out for when putting the dual exhaust system under the car?

Thanks in advance,

Bison
    Foxes:
    1983 Mustang GT--Forum Outlaw
    1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    Other Fords
    1955 F100 351W
    1998 Ranger

"Pink isn't well, he stayed back at hotel."

Since the 83 was not equipped with dual exhaust from the factory you might need to be careful of the brake hose. Many people relocate it when running true dual exhaust.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Google Images could be your friend here. Like this...Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  89.6 KB

And to answer your question, the mufflers are offset-offset and you will have to move rear brake hard line. The cars with true duals had the rear brake junction at the top of the rear diff whereas the early cars the junction was on the pass axle tube if I remember correctly.
    -1983 Mustang GL Coupe 9D Polar White (Sold)
    -1992 Mustang LX 5.0 PM Bright Calypso Green
    -2019 Jetta SEL (DD)
    -1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham (Wife's Toy)
    -2012 Nissan Xterra

Definitely believe your mufflers should be allowed to have whatever orientation that makes them happy.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I thought they were center to outside offset. Guess I was wrong.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTJIM View Post
    Since the 83 was not equipped with dual exhaust from the factory you might need to be careful of the brake hose. Many people relocate it when running true dual exhaust.
    Add to that, now that Latemodel is selling a reproduction chassis bracket/banjo fitting assembly, there's no need
    to go scrounging around the boneyards for one (unless you like that sort of thing).
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Add to that, now that Latemodel is selling a reproduction chassis bracket/banjo fitting assembly, there's no need
    to go scrounging around the boneyards for one (unless you like that sort of thing).
    These?
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-2073BRKT/mu...-bracket-86-93
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-2282B/86-95...ear-Brake-Hose

That's the hose I used in mine but I got my bracket used.

My mechanic was able to slip full duals under my 84 without modifying the brake or gas lines. For a low price of only 19.99 for 36 months I will send you pictures of how they did it. Just kidding. I would send you picks of a close up of the brake line area but the car is at the shop to get more work done. They did use store bought pipes though. cjpony parts duals trani mount. bbk h pipe, small bullet like mufflers. Although the clearance is fine I did go in with heat tape and hit some of the brake and gas lines near the rear axle just to be safe.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1861016

Thanks for the help guys. Just finished up the exhaust tonight, used the LMR brake line stuff to move everything around, and went ahead and did 2.5" pipe on everything. Sounds a lot better than the glasspacks did.
    Foxes:
    1983 Mustang GT--Forum Outlaw
    1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    Other Fords
    1955 F100 351W
    1998 Ranger

"Pink isn't well, he stayed back at hotel."

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    Although the clearance is fine I did go in with heat tape and hit some of the brake and gas lines near the rear axle just to be safe.
    Yeah, the PO of my '65 thought the same way, and it damn near caused a major accident with my entire family
    in the car. Which is why I've still got very little tolerance when it comes to taking shortcuts with things like brake
    hoses.

Even if your brake line never rubs under any possible combination of load and suspension movement, making sure
    that doesn't happen requires far more work than just moving the brake line to where Ford put it on dual exhaust
    cars. Because of that, I would never presume the next person will take all the precautions you or your mechanic
    might have taken. And if they don't, I certainly would not want that on my conscience.

Ford has always been ruled by bean counters, and yet they moved the brake line on dual exhaust cars to be as
    far from the exhaust system as physically possible. The engineer in me presumes they had a pretty good reason
    to do that.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook