Close

Question Which Headlights to use on MDmonster?

Not sure which headlights to use on my car. Should I stay stock,aftermarket,LED, or Colored? Here is a pic of my car for some opinions:

Thanks

GE or Sylvania Halogens imo

I like my Vision X 9007 bulb 4x6 housings. They're different, but don't scream different. They're cleaner looking, work better, and are DOT approved.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

My vote is for stock appearing but better quality. I am not a fan of the crystal clear lights or blue lights. I do like the Hella H2 style bulbs which you can get in brighter voltages. You may need to rewire with relays so as not to overtax the stock wiring or switch. There are plenty of diagrams out there that outline the process. Sweet looking car by the way, I like the underhood treatment by the hood latch and the super smooth engine bay. Post more pics once its all together.

Mike
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999

I did 4x6 glass housings, h4 led for low beams, h1 for high beams.

Bright, white but doesn’t blind other drivers. Looks stock too.

I like the original look, with all H4 to double low beam. I can't find clear lens lamps approved here in Finland.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I like my Vision X 9007 bulb 4x6 housings. They're different, but don't scream different. They're cleaner looking, work better, and are DOT approved.
    I have Vision X housings too. They look good and the bulbs are replaceable...Vision X is the highbeam in the pic.

Honestly once properly adjusted, I've never had anything but good things to say about visibility with stock style replacements in a halogen bulb.

The only down side is they draw more power than stock so after a lot of years and miles of use the wiring deteriorates to the point that relays are required as dimmer switches and headlamp switches start burning up left and right. Mine was fine until 350K miles and I swapped to halogens at 100K. They reached a point where with near continuous high beam use the lights would flicker off and on after an hour of driving then. It got to the point that low beams wouldn't stay on reliably by 360K. I converted to starter relays for my lights and haven't had another problem since.
    Last edited by erratic50; 11-19-2017 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Honestly once properly adjusted, I've never had anything but good things to say about visibility with stock style replacements in a halogen bulb.

The only down side is they draw more power than stock so after a lot of years and miles of use the wiring deteriorates to the point that relays are required as dimmer switches and headlamp switches start burning up left and right. Mine was fine until 350K miles and I swapped to halogens at 100K. They reached a point where with near continuous high beam use the lights would flicker off and on after an hour of driving then. It got to the point that low beams wouldn't stay on reliably by 360K. I converted to starter relays for my lights and haven't had another problem since.
    I did the relay headlights years ago and was running silver stars. Relay conversion brightened things up. When I converted to led, great beam pattern and not blinding. Led’s Require much less amps. Likely wouldn’t have needed the relays. My lights look stock.

I went with the SYLVANIA H4656 SilverStar Sealed Beam. Much better then stock but still have a factory look.

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action