Close

Default Help Identifying this Engine Connector and Relay

Can someone help me identify this single pin connector, the slide on connector next to it, and the relay shown? These are part of the PCM harness that comes through the firewall on the passenger side, and these end up at the drivers side strut tower, by the starter solenoid (thats where the one eyelet fusable link connects).

Thanks...

Name:  miscwiresrelay.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  87.6 KB
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

The relay is the Wot cutout relay for the A/C. The round connector is the battery ground. I'm not sure about the other single pin connector. Maybe a ground? Do you know what colors are on the wire?

The single wire with the U shaped connector is black with a grey stripe, or light yellow, can't tell, but its faded. On the round connector, I don't have a equal-opposite connector that plugs into that... would that connector just go to a ground? Any idea what that other connector looks like? As for the WOT relay, I am guessing I can eliminate that since I am running EFI with no A/C, right? I'm guessing I need to keep the fuseable links.

Thanks!
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

I think this image might be what I am missing, and here is a link to what looks like a good thread discussing Mustang and grounds:

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...ations.791485/

Name:  mustrangground.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  34.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by vdubn View Post
    The single wire with the U shaped connector is black with a grey stripe, or light yellow, can't tell, but its faded.

I suspect its just dirty. I think you'd be surprised how colorful those wires would look after a scrub with some Simple Green.
    That pigtail bit is actually the dedicated ground for the ECU. The negative cable for your car should look similar to this one -

Name:  wc8699_8306.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  14.8 KB
    Last edited by JACook; 11-15-2017 at 10:52 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Ok cool... since I have my battery in the hatch, I will go ahead and run this ground to the chassis along with the #2 ground wire from the engine.

Thanks

Ok, I did some testing of continuity, and just want to make sure that everything seems to be ok, and also, I found this one bullet connector with a black wire that comes off of the ECM harness behind the dash up by the heater box. It had continuity to the U-shaped connector shown in the first picture/post. Here is a pic of the bullet connector that has continuity to the U-shaped flat metal connector, and you see the main ground coming from the ECM harness, I thought it would have continuity to the round battery ground, but it doesn't. The main ground has continuity to a shield that runs through the harness to the TFI connector that runs to the distributor. If thats all normal, then sweet.

Name:  20171127_223202_resized.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  125.6 KB

In this pic, the round battery ground goes back to about 4 different grounds that join together, and one of them goes to a relay ground (you can see I have them both testing positive for continuity. My guess is that this connector is for the grounds of all of the different relays in the ECM harness. Does that sound right?

Name:  20171127_223450_resized.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  139.9 KB

If I need to connect the one black wire with the bullet connection to something, hopefully someone here will know what it needs to connect to. I initially thought it should just be grounded, but if each end is grounded, it just makes a ground loop without being connected to anything else.

Thanks in advance....