Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    The AOD is wider than the C4, even the 164 tooth C4.. If they fit an AOD, they should fit a C4
    Agreed, but if the trans crossmember is different for a C4 and AOD, then its possible that the humps in the C4 crossmember are narrower. I havent seen either to compare them, just thought it might be the case.

EDIT... Nevermind, I forgot that there wasn't a double hump crossmember that was factory for the C4, since they only ran single exhaust. Also, in looking at CJPonyParts, they are saying that the AOD and T5 crossmember is the same, so it looks like I was running down the wrong road. Sorry.
    Last edited by vdubn; 11-16-2017 at 06:58 PM.
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

Need pics of how the engine is setting in the engine bay. Also, a pic of the trans and cross member further back to see what we are working with better wouldn't hurt. Who's headers are those on post # 20?
    Last edited by racerxmd; 11-16-2017 at 07:48 PM.

I'm going to talk to a guy I know tomorrow about making me a tubular crossmember similar to the stifflers piece. It looks like the drivers side hump could move up almost an inch. That should hopefully give me enough clearance.

I had long tubes and a C4 on my 1982 GT, and they never fit well and were a nightmare to fit in so I did Ford Racing shorties. When I did my 408W swap, I looked at Long Tubes, but no one really makes one for the early cars without a K member swap ( I even talked to Accufab about making a set). At the end I just went with BBK shorties (that fit perfect) I just took a look at the LMR site, and they say with manual transmission only for BBK 351W swap long tubes , so I think you will have some fabrication to do. I have a set of 351W drop mounts that came with my motor you can have if you pay the shipping if you want to see how much that will help.

Robert
    1982 Mustang GT - Black with Red Interior
    Engine: Former 306 with AFR 185's, F Cam, RPM Air Gap, Barry Grant 650, Ford Racing shorties, and MSD 6AL. Coming soon a 408. Transmission: Broader Performance C-4 with Reverse Manual Valve body and Ultimate Convertor Concepts 3500 Stall.
    Rearend: 8.8 with 3.73 Gears and Moser Axles.

I have a set of 351W drop mounts that came with my motor you can have if you pay the shipping if you want to see how much that will help.

Sorry I just saw your response. I appreciate the offer. I actually modified the original crossmember with some 7/16 steel plate. Ended up making a whole new hump on the drivers side and that fixed the issue. I also unknowing bought a prochamber midpipe that was for a 5 speed. So i had to modify it also.
    Last edited by 79mustang; 01-13-2018 at 07:17 PM.

This is what hot rodding is all about. Things don't always fit when a myriad of aftermarket parts come together.

I have BBK long tubes on my car. Team Z K-member and Tremec TKO. When I was using vert engine mounts and later some poly mounts, my drivers side crossmember needed a notch to clear the exhaust. After I installed some Maximum Motorsports solid engine mounts I was able to use an unmodified crossmember and it cleared just fine.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Great!

Here's a pic of the completed crossmember. Took it and had it powdercoated a week ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FEP Member

looks like Ford should have made it that way in the first p[lace!

I have a 351 deck in my 81. I'm using the same headers. I'm also using the stifflers cross member. its close on the drivers side but it works. save your self all the trouble and get the stifflers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12