Close

Default 79 Tail light rubber strip

I'm getting close to time to reinstall the tail lights into my car and have them cleaned up resealed and ready to go. The thing is, I have one original light and the other is a replacement for the original broken one that came with the car. My problem is not with the lights and I have the gaskets in good condition, but what I am wondering about is the original passenger side light has a rubber strip that fits into the outer end of the housing where it would fit against the body. I don't have the strip from the other side and am wondering if this is just another of those 79 oddities and if I need it at all or if there is some other solution to replacing the missing one. I have searched everywhere online and have not come across a single reference to this little strip.

Is it needed at all? Does anyone have these or know of a replacement option?

I have the same strip on my Pace Car and on my 82 GT. I believe all the 79-82 Mustang tail lights use that strip. I just looked at my 82 RS and it appears to have the same rubber strip too, although not as visible as the Mustangs due to the different shaped lens.

I am not aware of any replacements at this time. I have cobbled together enough for my current 79-82 cars, but not sure if I have any extras. The strip does have a unique shape where it fits into the lens, so . . . . You can probably make some type of rubber weather stripping work, but I have not tried. I can look at my stash when I get home for Christmas, but I am not sure you want to wait that long. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks Trey, if they are normal items on all these years hopefully someone has one around. I'll post a want ad and see what comes up.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    Thanks Trey, if they are normal items on all these years hopefully someone has one around. I'll post a want ad and see what comes up.
    Ed, I think I have some. Trade ya
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Hey, that would be great Darran. Maybe for something like a headlight trim bezel.

Daily driver style repair:
    Stuffed a piece of foam rope backer rod in that location years ago.
    Covered the top cut end and gap with a custom cut of black butyl flashing tape to camouflage it.
    Whole idea was to keep water out of there.

The pic reminds me of foam pipe insulation or sliced hose.

Curious. Gonna check a spare tail light in the shed to analyze what really was there that fell out.

I think it would serve more as a gap seal for appearance than to actually seal anything from the elements. It's a hard rubber piece, not soft like a weather strip. I was thinking along the lines of cutting/splitting some rubber hose to make something if it came to that.

I've bought and sold a good number of 79-82 tail lights and only one pair has had the rubber trim on them. I guess they tend to fall off easily or get torn.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153