Close

Hybrid View

Default To Paint or Not to Paint...that is the question for this 1983 coupe

Natural or black? Everything marked with a yellow zip tie is being painted black. Did I miss anything or label any incorrectly?
    Fuel tank straps and Various pieces that make up the slapper bar set-up are throwing me off.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My .02. Find someone to powdercoat that stuff. That's what I did and it really didn't cost that much. I think I spent about $100 for k member reaer end housing rear control arms, backing plates sway bars and some misc. brackets.

Biggest thing imo, is how pitted is the metal? if you want it smooth, you might have to spray them in epoxy primer, filler & smoothen them. Lots of work! Powder coating is awesome & tough, but will show the flaws if that matters to you? Are you going to ceramic coat the exhaust manifolds?

Everything was blasted and cleared or painted satin black, depending on the original finish being natural or black. Manifolds wee also blasted and treated with a high temp clear from Eastwood. Looks amazing. Spindles and rear end were heavily pitted so they were painted a cast iron color. Turned out great. Pics of the progress on specialservicemustang.net.

Blog Entries

Are you looking for restoration or preservation? Restoration. I'm not sure. Preservation or basic hot rodding / resto mod, paint it all. It will look much better, if not original.i paint everything.

Edit- just saw you already have completed it. Carry on! Lol.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Without "after" pics it didn't happen.

Man, amazing i cant wait to see the finished product

Rear end

Manifold and misc parts...

And a before pic. See? It happened!

Quote Originally Posted by jlehma13 View Post
    And a before pic. See? It happened!
    Nice Cobra!
    79 Capri RS 5.0/AOD | 82 CHP SSP #0513 5.0/SROD | 82 Capri Tu-Tone 4.2/C5 | 83 NCSHP SSP 5.0/SROD
    84 FHP SSP 5.0/T5 | 84 LTD Wagon 3.8/AOD | 85 LTD LX 5.0/AOD | 88 GT 5.0 Turbo/T5

You like it? You can have it.