Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Interior paint, your experiences?

I need some feedback on the interior paint restoration houses are selling to change colors of interior components. For instance, a set of red quarter plastics changed to grey using this paint.

My never done it before, gut feeling is the finished product will be lower quality, sucky. Who has done it and what were your experiences?

Searching keywords 'interior and paint' are pointless, so yes, I've tried...
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

I painted some grey parts black. They did not look right when mixed with natural black pieces. But you might be okay if everything starts the same color and ends the same color... Or maybe if you do a white coat over the original color.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Senior Member

I was thinking a neutral color first, then the grey over that. If its going to chip, and it will, I'd rather see anything other than red.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Member

As for any paint work, good prep = good results. I converted my Lightning to two bucket seats and added a center console from an Expedition that was tan & dark brown. Using SEM interior paint I changed it to black & light grey. Looked factory when I was done & still looks perfect even after almost 8 years.

Name:  IMG_0279.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  85.2 KB

I'll be repainting my Fairmont's interior and have no doubt it will look great compared to the factory panels.
    Last edited by Dr. Matt; 02-15-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Wash everything thoroughly at least twice with hot soapy water. I used dish soap on mine scrubbing with a grey scuff pad. Next use a tack cloth after they are completely dry. Spray two coats of adhesion promoter and then finally spray two coats of paint.
    It is a tediuos job but when done right it looks really good. Take the interior code to your paint house and have them mix it. Believe it or not I painted every single piece of my interior with only half a pint of paint. It is very thin straight from the can and does not need thinned down to go in a spray gun.
    Unfortuneatly if there are scrapes or other marks in the plastic, just painting wont cover that up. Are you covering a lighter color with a darker color or repainting the same color?
    I did this to my svo and it looks factory fresh and does not scratch easily at all.

FEP Power Member

I have found the seat belt sleeves do scratch off a bit even after leaving them sit for a month. Other items not so much.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    I have found the seat belt sleeves do scratch off a bit even after leaving them sit for a month. Other items not so much.
    It seems like only the repro sleeves have that problem. My original sleeves aren't doing that but some repros I painted are.
    Last edited by dagenham; 02-16-2018 at 06:52 AM.

Anywhere that is subject to friction is a bad place for interior painting.

The interior on my son's 86 ragtop was tan and converted to black. Everything, dash door panels, etc.

Kick panels and silk plates started looking like crap almost immediately. Buy re-pops in black from somewhere like blue oval instead.

if you drag your elbow on the console lid, get a repop as the dye will wear through.

Fabric paint on seats works but they will be crusty when done. Wear like iron though - my 89GT lumbar seats in my 86 have been sat in well past about 300K miles. What's amazing is they still also sit like the seats from a luxury vehicle, maybe better. definately love the saddle on my horse...

FEP Senior Member

I have a pair of red notch quarter plastics. I’d like to paint them grey.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Going from red o grey shouldn't be a problem. Proper prep is THE key to sucess here