Close

Default production number

Hello All I am trying to find out the production number of my 1979 Mustang Ghia Hatchback Cobra. I have been told that it is part of the Vin# using the last 6 numbers but that doesnt seem to work with the Vin# I have. I believe there were 17,529 of these produced and I just want to know what number mine was when coming off the assembly line. My 79 is a 5.0 with auto transmission with the 2/tone paint. Any help you may be able to supply would be appreciated and any additional info I need to supply will be provided. Thanks ALL!!!!!!

There is no such thing as a Ghia Cobra. It is one of the other. The Cobra package was not available on the Ghia model. If the body code (3rd and 4th characters) in your VIN is 03 it could possibly be a Cobra but it is not a Ghia. If the body code is 05 it is a Ghia and it is not a Cobra.
    02 = [base] 2-dr sedan (coupe)
    03 = [base] 3-dr sedan (hatchback)
    04 = Ghia 2-dr sedan (coupe)
    05 = Ghia 3-dr sedan (hatchback)

There were 17,579 Cobras produced in 1979. Statistic is courtesy of Marti Auto Works. The last six characters (the "unit number") of a VIN is the order in which the VIN was "scheduled for production". In other words, it is the order in which the VIN was assigned. Cars are not produced in order of the VIN. They are produced in batches of the same color, or same power train, or same body, etc. Unit numbers for Ford cars always start at 100001 every year, they do not start at 000001, so the first VIN assigned is 100001, the second VIN assigned is 100002, etc. A car with a lower unit number could be produced after a car with a higher unit number, i.e. unit number 100001 could be produced days or weeks or months after 100002.

What you're asking for would cost you a lot of money. Marti Auto Works would basically have to get all of the Ghia or Cobra hatchback VINs, then the production dates for all of those VINs, sort the VINs by production date, and then pinpoint your VIN in the list. All of that work equates to a considerable amount of "research time" on Marti Auto Works' part and time = $.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 11-10-2017 at 09:49 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thank you the code in question is 03 so my mustang is not a Ghia but rather a typical mustang type. I fully understand your reply concerning the production timing and I am perfectly find with the last six on my Vin. If the last six were among the first dozen issued then perhaps it would be beneficial to confirm further but that is not the case my last six are in the 13,000 area. Once again Thank You for your response