Close

Default Which is better long term?

I'm trying to decide which exhaust I should run long term. Should I go full Catback exhaust or just simple Dumps. I just want a regular daily driver but i can't spend ridiculous amounts of money either. Any suggestions? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go with the full cat

1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Dumps are some loud sons of guns and start to get old. Will get you some complements depending on the mufflers though

1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

FEP Senior Member

Use tailpipes...they contribute to the looks of these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by wdanison43103 View Post
    Dumps are some loud sons of guns and start to get old. Will get you some complements depending on the mufflers though

I was thinking flowmaster super 44s or 40s but I don't know what other exhausts out there sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by braydenrey11 View Post
    I was thinking flowmaster super 44s or 40s but I don't know what other exhausts out there sound good.

I ran dumped 44s (BBK shorties, jegs o/r h pipe, American thunder catback) for almost a year and they sounded cool but you couldn't have a conversation in the car unless you yelled at each other. Definitely run the tails, the at will still be loud and sound good but you can still talk to your passengers or hear music without turning the radio all the way up.

Definitely go full exhaust. LX tails look awesome on these babies.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

I would run a 2 cat H or X pipe with the Flowmasters of your choice and definitely run some tails. As conmech said, LX tails look awesome on these babies! Ford even went back to them for the 93 Cobra. Good Luck!

Mike
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999

I run a 2.5" 4-cat Magnaflow X-pipe and Flowmaster 44 series mufflers with tails on my '85 Hatch. The system
    sounds aggressive without being annoying, or overpowering the radio. Best thing is the 2000 RPM drone is a lot
    less than with the previous 2-cat H-pipe. It's still there, mind you, but it doesn't dominate.

I would never run the Flowmasters without tails on a street car...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune