Close

Default New Member from Anchorage, Alaska.

Hello everyone,

I have been quietly viewing this forum since I bought my 82 Capri in May of this past year. She's rough but I have nothing but time and needed a project so as to stop daydreaming of ways to spend money on my daily (92 Chevy 2500). The previous owners attempted to do much of the work themselves, but failed to pay attention to details and poorly executed their work.

Some background on myself. I am a lifelong Alaskan, born and raised here in Anchorage. I am a former collegiate athlete, playing soccer for two years at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott, Arizona. I eventually decided to pursue a professional career instead of trying to make it as a professional athlete, and came home. I currently work full time and am pursuing my MBA, with an anticipated graduation date of December 2018.

Here is a little background on the car. Its a 1982 mercury Capri. I believe that it originally has a 2.3 turbo, judging by the hole in the hood, but the previous owner swapped in a 302 from supposedly a 69' Ranchero. The car is rough as previously stated. When I bought it had a two-barrel, leaky rack and pinion, a poor attempt to paint the interior black, a god awful paint job (I think they sprayed over the car in sealer, and there are runs all over), some holes in the floor in the typical spots near the firewall, many gauges that do not work, and a terrible blown glasspack in a 2-to-1 exhuast that appears to be 2.25" pipe.

I have replaced the rack and pinion and had to buy some cheap rubber for the front, when I bought the car the studs were still on it. I also put on an old carter I got from a buddy. The car has sat most of the summer, as some other plans popped up and funds are limited (yay for grad school!!), and is currently parked and covered for the winter until April or May when the snow starts to leave.

The immediate goal for next summer is to get a full exhaust system, as the factory manifolds leak. I plan on going with BBK shorties and H-pipe without cats, no emissions up here, and Dynomax Cat back system. I also intend to get new tires, I am leaning towards Cooper Cobra 235/60/15 all around. I am unsure about how those will fit in the front, and may put a 215/65/15 up front. Any input from more experienced users is greatly appreciated.

The ultimate goal for the car is make a wheel to wheel car to race at a twice-a-summer venue up here in Alaska called Tanacross. This is an event where one of the local car clubs rents an old WWII airport for a weekend (Labor and Memorial day) and has a weekend full of racing and fun! A link is provided below. But that goal for the car is still a long ways off...

https://www.aksportscarclub.org/tanacross

Anyway, I look forward to being able to learn from the wealth of knowledge here and potentially meet some members from Alaska (I know there are one or two on here).Name:  IMG_3826.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  122.2 KBName:  IMG_3827.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  129.8 KBName:  IMG_3949.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  98.4 KB

Hello and welcome to the site. Relatively new myself. Good luck with the project. Cheers!

Funny, I was accepted to Embry-Riddle in Prescott for GSIS and very nearly went there last year. I also happen to have a '69 Ranchero with a 302. Small world!

Good luck with the project!

FEP Member

Welcome from a fellow Anchorage resident.

I had 235/60's on some ten holes, also cooper cobras. They fit good, but not much extra room between the struts. Didn't have any clearance issyes, not sure if you could go any bigger without 11" spindles. Out back should be fine.

I also run 215/65's when I want a stockish sized tire.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

These posts are like a time capsule. Its funny to see how much things change in 8 months.

Unfortunately life happens and one must adapt in order to move forward.

My truck died in December and I decided it was time to buy a new vehicle, something AWD and a little better on gas mileage. I ended up buying a one-owner 2002 BMW 330xi with about 111k on the clock (and a manual)....

I hope yall didn't think I sold the Capri, because I didn't! Plans have just changed a little bit and the Capri has been put on the back-burner a touch. I fortunately fixed my truck as well, so now I face the joys of balancing maintenance and desired upgrades on three different vehicles.

I would have made more progress on the Capri had I not purchased the BMW, as I have had to do some typical maintenance and upgrades, things like rubber bushings and what not. I also spent a lot of time chasing a wheel shake/wobble which, after some $$$ was spent, was contributed to a busted bead on a tire. This was a result of poor mounting by the shop I went to have mount my new tires/wheels in March.

But, I have made a little progress. The Capri did receive BBK shorties and an H-pipe so far! I'll likely put some single chamber mufflers on there and dump it before the rear axle, maybe replace some ignition components, and call it good. The Capri will have to sit another winter awaiting the attention it deserves.
    Name:  IMG_4242.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  91.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4288.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  93.0 KB

The "New" plan: Get the car to where I can drive it daily next summer, and take it to a few autocross sessions to get my feet wet. This will involve:
    - Patching the floor
    - Subframe connectors
    - New Gauges (Going to make a custom cluster this winter)
    - Shocks and Struts (KYB)
    - Spherical upper Control Arms Bushings (Axle side) (J&M)
    - New Upper Control Arms w/ rubber bushings (MM)
    - Lower Control Arms (MM Heavy duty w/ adjustable perch, or J&M)
    - Tires and maybe wheels (Still Cooper Cobras, and potentially Bassett wheels)
    - Seat, harness and Bracket. (NRG seat, Planted Seat Bracket, undecided on Harness)

And that is it for now. I will post again once I accumulate parts and/or make any progress on the gauges.

- Daniel

Welcome! Nice project

Welcome to fep

Welcome to FEP. I hear you on the maintenance and upgrades on multiple vehicles.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4