Close

Default How to tell if engine block is correct?

I'm a new member hoping to get a nice early GT. I found one nearby and I'm going to look at it tomorrow. I'll post the VIN and tags here. It has a 351W in it, but the guy said he has the original engine. Does anyone know what numbers I should expect to see on the engine? Am I just looking for a casting date that is a bit before the production date of the car, or is there a record of the exact number engine block that went into that car?

Numbers are stamped into the block back by the bellhousing lip near the back of the intake. I don't remember which numbers match up with the vin for sure. Sequence numbers I think.

Here is an example from a 83 GT. The top of the picture is the bell housing and the bottom is the rear of the intake manifold. The stamping should match up to the last of the VIN if it's the original block to that car. Incidentally the trans was also stamped.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 90
Size:  74.1 KB

Personally if you are looking for a nice early GT and you care about originality, I'd probably wait & keep looking. It's likely with a 351 swap that a lot of the "original" is gone. There are nice clean early GT's available but you might have to wait. It all depends on what you want exactly. Good luck & welcome to the site!
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

So I went to look at it today. It was a nice looking car. It was repainted 10 years ago with a new roof installed to eliminate the sunroof, and the paint/body still looked great. It sounded good and ran perfect, but had evidence of floor patches and when I stepped on the brake pedal in the driveway it blew a steel line. It's too bad, but I think I'll keep looking for something in a bit better shape.

Here are some pics of the VIN and other codes. Out of curiosity, is there anything rare and unusual here?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

VIN
    1FA = Ford vehicle manufactured in USA by Ford Motor Company
    B = active belts, no airbags
    P = passenger car
    28 = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    M = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    X = VIN check digit
    F = 1985 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly
    108189 = 8,189th 1985 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly

Owner Card
    B8 = Great Lakes Ford of Canada district sales office
    2R = Bright Red exterior paint color
    PYC = cloth Articulated Sport seating (P), Sand Beige/Buckskin interior trim color (Y), trim deviation C
    25J = September 25th scheduled build
    M2 7C = 2.73:1 rear axle ratio w/ Traction-Lok differential (M), Borg Warner T-5 5-speed manual overdrive transmission (2), AM/FM stereo radio w/ cassette (7), sunroof (C)

Seat Tag
    SEP 24 1984 = seat build date
    E4ZB-6160004-070TC-L205A = engineering number
    • E4ZB = originally engineered for 1984 (E4) Mustang (Z) by Body and Electrical Product Division (B)
    • 61 = Mustang 3-door hatchback
    • 60004 = complete front seat assembly
    • 070TC-L205A = color code
    LSI = (seat manufacturer) Lear Seigler, Inc.
    M(97066)
    PASS. = passenger side seat
    BEIGE = Sand Beige seat color
    MUST. = Mustang model line
    LEA. = Lear Seigler seat
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Nice color combo and good year to boot!
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride