Close

Default Older Kidde Fire Extinquisher Recall

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/ki...discharge-and#

One of my shop extinguishers is on the list. I followed the link to kidde.com, clicked on Product Recall, filled out the form, and will be getting a replacement unit "in 15-20 days."

Mike

I'm honestly surprised it took this long.

Since I'm in a safety related field, there are a few things I try and engrain in the minds of people. It never hurts to bring this up every now and then as it could be a matter of life and death.

Whether it's your home, business, auto or toy, NEVER.....NEVER cheap out on safety equipment, especially fire extinguishers.

Here are a few points I like to speak about during these conversations.

1) Never buy a cheap extinguisher without a gauge. The failure rate is anywhere between 28 - 50% brand new, out of the box. That's almost like playing a game of russian roulette.

2) Never buy an extinguisher that has it's handles or valves made of plastic. Whoever thought that was a good idea obviously never needed to try and save something on fire. This is especially true for an extinguisher that is in a vehicle where it is subject to constantly varying heat, cold and vibration. This will kill the plastic components quickly. This point also links to #1 above.

3) Initial cost vs value. In all honesty, the cost between buying an extinguisher from a big box store to the local fire supply is not that much different. Most of the time, you get a good test and refill rate if you have them service one they sell. The box store ones may or not be serviceable which adds cost down the road. I would rather have a quality extinguisher that I know will work for years to come even if it cost me a little more on the front end.

4) Inspect your extinguishers regularly. No matter if it's in your home, business or car, get in the habit of looking at it monthly to make sure it is in good condition, the gauge is in service range and the pin is securely in place. Nothing worse than grabbing one when you need it and it is empty or defective.

5) MOST IMPORTANTLY.........take a class on how to use one and refresh yourself annually or so.
    There is a right way and a wrong way to use these. Many people that own one, have them because they are required to or told to, but they don't really have a clue how to use it properly. Many fires are made worse by the person behind the extinguisher.
    Aim too high and it's ineffective, wasting all the charge before the fire is smothered. Aim too low and you will spread the fire in a hurry, making it too large for the extinguisher. There is a fairly fine line across the base that must be hit in order to smother it quickly and getting the feel of it comes with practice. Since hopefully you are not using extinguishers on a regular basis, that's where the classes come in. Fire Dept's, Fire supply companies and even some local Community Colleges put on a short seminar and conduct hands on training on how to properly use one. To me, I feel it is worth the investment as the class cost is usually cheap and it only takes about an hour or so out of your time.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 11-02-2017 at 01:13 PM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I'll add 6) Locate your fire extinguisher in an easily accessible location near an exit. That way when you go to get the extinguisher you are all ready headed towards safety. You can decide once you have the extinguisher in hand if fight or flight is the best option. That said, flight is always the recommendation for the untrained, inexperienced and under equipped. Let the professionals do the dangerous work once you are safe. Stuff can be replaced, lives can't.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    I'll add 6) Locate your fire extinguisher in an easily accessible location near an exit. That way when you go to get the extinguisher you are all ready headed towards safety. You can decide once you have the extinguisher in hand if fight or flight is the best option. That said, flight is always the recommendation for the untrained, inexperienced and under equipped. Let the professionals do the dangerous work once you are safe. Stuff can be replaced, lives can't.
    Excellent point, in which I forgot to mention.
    It does no good if its buried somewhere you have to dig it out or forgot where you placed it. Since fire is a game of seconds, accessibility makes all the difference.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Many thanks for this post.
    I may have 4, two for sure.
    Car, truck, shed, front hall.
    I do check the gauges regularly. This is different.
    Going online tomorrow to fill out forms.

Am not afraid to use them either.
    I don't care if others wonder if its ok. or choose to stand by and watch.
    Assess and react calmly and quickly. Notify others and those in charge.
    Know where the bottles are. Factories and warehouses are well marked in red.

Have had 2 fire events at workplaces, 1 at home since the 90's.

1990's
    Work
    Seen a roof stack fire when pulling into the shop drive to start 3p shift.
    Was a fire in the cooling/quench tub at the back of heat treat machinery.

Operator did not pull the pin to set off the large multi-bottle extinguisher array.
    Would cause a mess? Did not know how? Would get into trouble for letting fire start?
    'Know it all' dept office boss comes out into the shop and winds out the fire hose... on an oil fire.
    Water all over. Into my nearby work area (ship/receive). Took 2 days cleanup.
    The HT was soon disassembled, sold, and the work outsourced.

2000's
    Work
    My forklift.
    Two year old Yale 6000# electric. Something in the back by the counterweight started smoking. Burning wire smell.
    That is were the electronics are. Quickly got off and assessed the situation. Not bad yet.
    Was near the dock office. Used the bottle in front of office so the boss could see what was happening.
    Was out in a minute, saved the machine.
    Was driving it the next day.

Happened there before. Most of the units ran 24/7.
    Other shifts simply pulled the smoking trucks outside and let them burn up (did not want to stink up the dock).
    Rewiring took weeks. Forklifts were leased with maintenance package.

8/16/09
    Home
    Lucky i was home.
    Old furnace blower motor. Noticed a plastic vinyl wire burning smell.
    One little blast from the extinguisher put it out. Minimal mess.
    Installed new motor next day, good to go.
    Smell lingered for days.
    Last edited by gr79; 12-16-2017 at 02:08 AM.

On vehicles that are space limited like ours?

I guess turboj74's is a good compromise H3R 2.3 pound bottle.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...guisher-mounts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpqVJuUaRAk

thanks will check mine this weekend. Wonder if he still sells the mounts?
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Got one on the way. Thank You very much !!! Never would have known otherwise.

A note for anyone checking their model numbers.
    Mine just said KIDDE 110, but that is not specifically on their list of defective model numbers.
    I submitted the model as KIDDE 1A10BC, which is on my extinguisher under the UL Listing classification.

thank you so much will check my rv , garage and house tonight!!!!!
    1982 Mustang coupe with 66 mustang 289(30 over, keith black pistons,etc.) 4cyl world class t-5, 8.8 with 3.55.
    1980 Mustang hatch(sold)
    1965 Mustang (in process)

One on the way too.
    Was the 'newest' one bought 4 years ago.
    The handle design matched the picture of recalled models.

Have 3 much older ones that are ok per handle design pic.
    On the landing page of Kidde site, there is a picture of the handle design of the ones not affected.

Can call them or do this online.
    After entering data correctly online, site will confirm if it is a recalled item.

Do not want to send them a non-recall one, then get charged for the mistake.
    The site accepts the data for non-recall ones too. The ones with the 'good' handle.
    So i have to call them on the others.

Just my 2 cents, but I used to own a fire alarm company which serviced fire extinguishers as well. At least once a year make sure it is turned upside down and listen for the powder to move, also a slight tap with a rubber mallet at the bottom side of the unit not the very bottom as is the pick up tube can be damaged. At five years the unit should be taken in for a Hydro test and recharge. Again just my 2 cents.

4 replacement fire extinguishers arrived the other day. If you are replacing ones like I had, (2.5#)
    They might not fit custom mounts. The diameter is different. old was 9 1/4" and the new is 10 1/2".
    The height is different too, but I don't see this as a problem as the new ones are shorter.
    I kept the semi-Velcro mounting off the old ones to use on the new ones. It affixes directly to the carpet.
    You have to drill holes a little larger on the mount to do this.

The fire extinguishers are better quality than my old ones. They even have a gauge on them.
    Instructions and a return label are included in the boxes.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

About how long did they take to arrive?
    1985 GT owned since new

Quote Originally Posted by swearint View Post
    About how long did they take to arrive?
    It took 18 days from when I filled out the forms.

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Excellent point, in which I forgot to mention.
    It does no good if its buried somewhere you have to dig it out or forgot where you placed it. Since fire is a game of seconds, accessibility makes all the difference.
    As stated above, seconds count. The extinguisher was easily accessible on my work bench but I was having trouble getting the hood up.

After using 2 on the Saleen I bought 3. Very cheap insurance. I bought Kidde auto ones though. The old ones were silver and the new ones are white. I am taking one back though to exchange. The yellow pin keeper strap is broke and the pin will not stay in. The last thing needed is the pin to fall out and the fire extinguisher to discharge accidentally while driving the car.

New bottle is now in the car.
    Blue nozzle like pictured.
    Repacked old one, relabeled box per instructions with included label.
    FedX will not accept the old one at a ship center.
    Have to call for home pickup.
    Its about the DOT hazmet symbol on the box.

I took mine directly to the FedEx ship center. Did not have a problem.

Got an email the other day indicating that they are getting a high participation rate and delivery will be delayed. No ETA provided.
    1985 GT owned since new

Thanks for the info

I had a old one and called on a Sunday to get the new one on the way.

New showed up about 15days as they said. took to a FedEx Center no problems.
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

FEP Power Member

For those with show quality cars, you might want to consider using a Halon type fire extinguisher. The dry chemical ones do make a mess and corrode electrical wiring. Yes, they cost even more. At $100, just think of how much time you will save cleaning up powder chemical.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by swearint View Post
    Got an email the other day indicating that they are getting a high participation rate and delivery will be delayed. No ETA provided.
    Due to arrive today via FedEx. About four weeks since submission.
    1985 GT owned since new

Went to a large main local FedEx ground shipment hub to drop off the recalled product.
    This location gladly accepted box no questions. In + out in one minute.

Was not going to call for pickup like the first location suggested.
    Aint got time to wait all day for a 30 sec event.
    Last edited by gr79; 12-16-2017 at 02:11 AM.

Now to box up the other one. Was sent total of 2.