Close

Default T-Top Support Rod/Flat Steel, Fell out today

So, I was pulling my headliner so that the PDR guy could fix the waves in my T-top roof panel behind the T-Tops, and after pulling the headliner, I felt this long flat piece of metal floating around inside the roof. It looks to have been pop riveted at some point, and runs left to right across the roof line.

Is this a common thing to happen in T-top cars? To have this come dislodged? I think this may be why my roof line was so wavy.

Name:  20171031_164300_resized.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  86.5 KB
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

FEP Super Member

Mine came out years ago , when i removed the damaged head liner .
    I have it somewhere still , but i dont know how i would ever get it re attached.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Yes, this is why your roof is waving at you.

That is the inner support piece that is riveted to the T-top structure and the roof. Essentially it sandwiches the roof skin between that piece and the top section of the T-top structure.

You will have to remove the trim piece from the top of the roof at the back of the T-tops to gain access to where the rivets are. I thought I had some pictures, but I can't find them right now.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I wondered if removing the T-Top rear trim would give access to this. I am guessing I just need to drill the holes in this plate, slide it back in position, and re-pop rivet it in place, right? I am betting that is way better said than done. Trey, have you actually been able to do it successfully?

Ashley Roachclip, I found this one while doing the same as you with the headliner.

So it basically gives the roof metal something to sit on for support, after they cut the roof section away.
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

Yes, I did this to my 82 GT. I thought I took pictures of the process for my build thread, but apparently I did not.

I don't have a T-top sitting in front of me right now, but IIRC there are a couple of screws or rivets that hold the trim cap in place on the rear of the T-top opening.

Once those are removed then the cap pops off. Then you will see all the rivets. You will need to drill them out and clean out the flat stock bar piece too. Then place the piece back under the roof skin and align the holes. I like to make sure all the holes match up by inserting the rivets in all of the holes to begin with.

Then begin at the center and start pulling down all the rivets and alternating side to side as you go. That should address your issue and get everything wrapped up and tight again.

Once you get in there you will see that it's not too hard or complicated. Make sure you use good quality aluminum rivets and long enough to reach all the way thru all the pieces. You can also use some 2 part urethane structural adhesive to really bond everything together if you like. I did that with mine just to add some additional strength and piece of mind. I am sure I am missing something, but that is all I can think of right now. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

That makes sense... I'll pull the trim tonight and look closer... I will try to document it as well.

Did you opt for larger than original pop rivets, or just stick with the original size?

Quote Originally Posted by vdubn View Post
    That makes sense... I'll pull the trim tonight and look closer... I will try to document it as well.

Did you opt for larger than original pop rivets, or just stick with the original size?
    No need to go with larger rivets, besides that would require you to drill all the holes oversize. Just be careful when drilling out the old rivets to not wallow out the holes and use the correct size drill bit when doing so.

Just buy quality rivets again that are long enough to engage all the pieces correctly and yet still pull down nice and tight. You don't need a large flange head, but make sure you have enough to seat well. You can consider rivet washers on the underside if needed, but should be fine in most cases. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Super Member

I sprayed expanding foam in there years ago , to get rid of the rattle .....
    Vuess i will have to do some digging lol
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Makes sense... once I removed the trim, it all made sense... the bar that was removed, sandwiches the roof metal between itself, and the T-Top frame, thus holding it into place. Just need to clean it all up and get some rivets tonight. I'll grab some pics tonight.

Well, it was actually a lot easier than I thought to get this back in. Wedged it up to the roof, started in the center like Trey mentioned, and secured it with 1/8" x 5/8" pop rivets. Hopefully it should stay put now.

Attachment 116661
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The same thing happened to mine years ago, I heard the metal piece floating around in the head liner. When I redid the head liner I pulled the piece out and re-secured the roof panel with Pig Putty from the inside. I should have done a proper repair at the time but was not sure how to do it without tearing the whole roof apart. The Pig Putty worked out great so far but at some point I am guessing I will have to revisit this project.

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Glad that worked out for you and you were able to get it fixed without issue!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller