Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Goodguys Pace Car-SEMA 2017

I saw where Goodguys/Goolsby Customs unveiled their 1979 Pace Car at the SEMA show today. I can't believe they did all of that to a 2900 mile, 1 owner car !! While I do like the concept, I'm not feeling the yellow paint. I feel like they missed the mark, after sacrificing what was possibly a nice car. To me, it looks like a bottle of mustard,, just my personal opinion though. What do yall think ?Name:  Goodguys-1979-Foxbody-Mustang-1-of-5-850x567.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  113.9 KB
    Last edited by PACMKR; 11-01-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Jonathan Goolsby builds some very nice cars. His attention to detail is second to none. I just feel like they could've made a better color choice. I'm pretty disappointed with this one

If you think that the Goodguys' write-up reads like gobbledy-gook, check out FordMuscle: http://www.fordmuscle.com/features/s...-for-goodguys/

“It opens up the opportunity within the industry because other companies that make parts for these car will be able to come into these shows. It’s going to grow the whole industry of hot rodding, because these cars are the future of hot rodding,” Jonathan Goolsby of Goolsby Customs told us.
    ???? Nothing on this car is marketable that I can see for THIS car.

Mike

Paint cars bright colors if you want them to get noticed is the rule of thumb.

But you can't tell me a more factory appearing pacecar tastefully modified wouldn't get noticed.

Bluntly I think they took a rare awesome car they didn't understand or respect the heritage of and ruined it.

Want to build such stuff, start with a crappy ratted out chassis to begin with -- and save it. I'm all for it.

Messing with an exceptionally low miles original - dude you lost me!

and check it out, the hood doesn't even fit right!

What also does not make sense is the model year range of 1987 or earlier. You would think 1986 and earlier fox. Assume this was done as a 30 year old qualifier but it lands at a time when the aero style is just starting which is representative through 93 so either cut it off at 86 or 93 but not 87.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are saying 1987 and earlier for ALL vehicle, not just Mustangs.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Ah ok that makes sense lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regardless of if it was a 2,900 mile car or a 29 mile car as stated in Ford Muscle (While it started with a 29-mile, original 1979 Mustang Indy Pace Car, gone is the factory unibody.)....it is an absolute tragedy that this was done to either There are plenty of Pace Cars out there in need of a restoration or resto-mod...but to tare up a presumable MUSEUM QUALITY PIECE?!
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

It's different. Personally I don't hate it...
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

I'm with Jason on this, why not give a new life to a Pace Car in need of love instead of destroying a nice low mile car. Factory louvers would look a lot nicer then the ones used.

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Regardless of if it was a 2,900 mile car or a 29 mile car as stated in Ford Muscle (While it started with a 29-mile, original 1979 Mustang Indy Pace Car, gone is the factory unibody.)....it is an absolute tragedy that this was done to either There are plenty of Pace Cars out there in need of a restoration or resto-mod...but to tare up a presumable MUSEUM QUALITY PIECE?!
    I am with Jason. I am not so impressed with your skills if you start a project with a near perfect car. ( I don't know what the car looked like before they started working on it but if it was a low mileage car I assume there wasn't much wrong with the body)

Want to impress me- start with something like this... or worse!
    Attachment 116546
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Nicely done, but I am not a yellow fan and even less of one on this car.

I agree that starting with a PC in need of all the attention would be more impressive, but I am sure that with the short deadlines that many builders have to deal with in regard to SEMA and other shows that starting with a nice example is much easier and helps to make it all work.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Personally, I see (possibly) why the better appearing car was worked over. Less deeper work had to be done (replacement of body parts, floors, etc.) which lowered overall cost. Sometimes business sense over-rides common sense. Totally agree that this car could have been done WAY BETTER.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Yeah, but they replaced the inner & outer fenders to fit the huge tires, the floor to fit it on the custom frame, the firewall to fit the engine, etc.

Mike

FEP Senior Member

Its bada$$!

I love it.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

I think its all about posturing and ego. "We're Goodguys/Goolsby Customs! We'll do anything we want. Don't like it? We'll do it to a 1 mile car next time!"

It's all about advertising.

They take a $20,000 crate motor, advertised at 580 HP, change the rods and pistons so that it is now "
    putting down 500 ponies
    "

Typical Gary Meadors.

Mike

Maybe I could afford the air in it's tires,,,

I personally prefer Tom Clark’s Pace Car he did a few years ago. To me, his is a much better build.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

^^^^^ Exactly !! Unless he's finished it, his is in the shop now, having Mustang/Capri hybrid fenders and quarters installed. I can't wait to see it when it's finished and painted ! Tom's car is the inspiration for mine

Quote Originally Posted by tORMENtOR View Post
    I'm with Jason on this, why not give a new life to a Pace Car in need of love instead of destroying a nice low mile car. Factory louvers would look a lot nicer then the ones used.
    Yes, but it's much easier (and quicker) to start with something pristine than a rotter.....

Not defending them for modding a low mile car, just saying.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Power Member

It was nice to see a Fox body at the show. Being yellow, I did not look closely.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

When the Goodguys show was still going locally, they were 72-older only... Glad to see that FINALLY acknowledged that there's some cool cars post-1972.

Unfortunately, they've already lost me - If my car wasn't good enough for them 4 years ago, it's not now either. Suck it.
    1986 Saleen #145
    now 50k miles - still 98% original.

I'm all for helping the helpless, but I don't give a rat's ass about the clueless anymore.

Previous: 79 Cobra, 82 GT, 83 GT, 85 Twister, 85.5 SVO, 86 GT, 87 GT, 91 Saleen, etc....

I saw this car in person today and while I agree with not loving the color combo......I will say that it is a darn nice car too look at in person.

Name:  thumb_IMG_1309_1024.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  358.7 KB

Name:  thumb_IMG_1312_1024.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  thumb_IMG_1313_1024.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  25.1 KB

Name:  thumb_IMG_1311_1024.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  20.7 KB

Name:  thumb_IMG_1310_1024.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  20.7 KB
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast