Close

Default Trying to identify this Grey Box behind the dash

I found this module/box that looks like it should go behind the dash, has a small tin bracket bolted to the back of it. There are no part numbers anywhere on it, and it has a FORD emblem, but that is it.

Thanks for any input

Name:  20171031_191704_resized.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  56.7 KB
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

Seat belt buzzer, maybe? What's the plug look like?

Mike

It has a short sub-harness that connects it to a 6 pin brown connector next to the steering column, the plug that slides into the module is a grey flat 6 pin connector. Don't think its the seat buzzer, as I think that is smaller. This is like, 3" by 3.5", so decent size. If I had to guess, it looks like it may mount to the column framework. I was wondering if it might be the module for the speed/cruise control? Here is a pic of it with the harness. It seems specific to my 1985, as the 1986 dash harness I have, does not have this harness or module:

Name:  module1.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  111.1 KB

That brings me to the second question. I have been tracing all of my dash wires, and these two single connector wires, one blue wire, one black wire, have no related plugs on my dash harness. These come from an 86 transmission wiring harness, and when I trace them out, they go to the plug pictured, which I think is the top gear switch for the top of the transmission. The switch on the top of the tranny is the top gear switch, and the one on the side of the T5 is the reverse light switch, correct? If this is in fact the top gear switch, then the blue and black wires would go to a sub-harness behind the dash, but I don't think its necessary for what I am doing.

Did they have the up-shift indicator in 85, or was this something new in 1986? Lots of questions. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Name:  upshiftwires.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  61.7 KB
    Last edited by vdubn; 11-01-2017 at 01:28 AM.
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

Upshift light was 85 only afaik. Neither 86 GT 5.0 we own has one.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's we had a 1986 Tempo 4-door that was a 2.3L 4cyl 5-speed car. It had one. Really liked it - the car got best mileage shifting with the light at part throttle. WOT is light up right before redline just as the car was nosing over and it was time to shift. Spunky little car, ran about 80-85 in the 1/4 mile or so. Around 115-120 flat out.
    Last edited by erratic50; 11-01-2017 at 01:37 AM.

Sweet, that may be what the grey box is then, as it was specific to my 1985 dash harness for sure.... I just figured out, the top switch on the T5 is the neutral switch, the side is the reverse light switch. So, it would appear as though I am missing a harness that connects from the blue wire and the black wire, but not sure what they went to. Any ideas where the neutral switch would connect?

Is it for starting, for cruise control, ???

I have two plugs that come into the clutch safety switch, but my clutch safety switch only has connections on one of the two plugs, so I think my clutch safety switch is for a car without cruise control, which my car did not have cruise control. Maybe the neutral switch is supposed to connect to the clutch switch on the pedals? I'm totally lost, and the wiring diagrams don't cover this that well.

FEP Super Member

I believe the box , is the governor for the delay wipers .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I also believe that it's for the upshift light. Are you going to keep it ? If not I'd like to acquirer it.

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    I believe the box , is the governor for the delay wipers .
    Actually, I was able to verify that its not that, as the governor for the intermittent wipers is smaller, is black, has part numbers on it, and I have it mounted under the column on the left side. It lays flat and has two big square-ish plugs that plug to the column.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAO View Post
    I also believe that it's for the upshift light. Are you going to keep it ? If not I'd like to acquirer it.
    I think so too, as its definitely an 85 and/or earlier item, and its poorly documented in every book that I have read trying to confirm its identity. No, I am not planning to run it. I would let it go, let me know if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by vdubn View Post
    I think so too, as its definitely an 85 and/or earlier item, and its poorly documented in every book that I have read trying to confirm its identity. No, I am not planning to run it. I would let it go, let me know if you want it.
    Yes I definitely want it. Will PM you my contact info.

Discussed Wednesday, ‎6 ‎September ‎2017, ‏‎4:50:28 a.m

Drew nailed it in post #43, but East coasters were all were kind worried about death and mayhem from the Hurricanes.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...60#post1857560

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...91-shift-light
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-red-box/page2

SVO's used the space to control the thermo fans.

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGTOP89 View Post
    Found these under the dash, this one hums/buzzes when trying to start the car,sticker says RED

Tabs are broken on this and does not appear to be a plug in unit

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-Relay-problem

The funny thing is, they are all called the Red control box. But they aint always Red....

Thanks xctasy, I also just confirmed it in an 85-only wiring diagram. Its called a Speed Control Amplifier. The description makes it sound like a module for cruise control, which is why I had a hard time finding it before. How crazy that they were just talking about that less than 2 months ago.

Now, the one thing I can't confirm, is the two wires that go to the switch at the top of the T5 trans. Pretty sure after 85 it was considered a neutral switch (even if it actually closed when not in neutral, which is a bit backwards), but during the 85 year was considered a "top gear" switch, to indicate when the car was in 5th gear. Can anyone confirm this? See the last pic in Post #3, to see the two wires that have single connectors (one with blue wire, one with a black wire). I think I can just not use these and it won't affect anything, especially since the upshift module will get discarded.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Yes, on the '83 - early '86 T5s, the top switch opened in 5th gear, to inhibit the upshift light.

Name:  030 Upshift Indicator.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  76.8 KB
    Last edited by JACook; 11-03-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Ok, that makes sense... I saw that circuit as well. I also noticed that the upper switch is available on most T-5's, even on later models that didn't have the upshift light. Was it used later for the cruise control?

Also, I have one final dash harness plug that I cannot find a corresponding connection in the body harness. This is a grey 2 pin plug, with 3 wires coming out. All are red with what looks like gold dots, but actually are light green dots. Here is the plug:

Name:  dashharness2.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  87.7 KB

Here is page 40 of the 85 and 86 EVTM, and I have highlighted the connector, C219 that looks to be the one I am holding above. This circuit connects to the stop light switch, and the multifunction switch, and I think was also used for the Upshift System. If thats the case, I can leave it disconnected, but I am hoping someone here can tell me what harness normally would connect to this connector, and where it would route?

Name:  turn-stop-wiring.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  112.7 KB