Close

Default Ford ltd wagon sending unit

Just a quick question for those who have replaced sending units and or pumps in 1984-1986 Ford LTD’s. How are the sending units for the sedans and wagons different? Is it the whole thing that is different? Is it just the arm and float that is different? I ask because my fuel gauge reads incorrectly and I want to repair it.

I don't know what the difference is, but I replaced the whole arm on mine. I had to because I adapted a Mustang sending unit to my LTD wagon pump frame and it faces the other way, so there was no way to make the LTD one work where it wouldn't catch on the side of that round sump thingy in the tank. Probably a convoluted way to do it, but if nothing else, i guess it means you can adapt a whole different sending unit thingy if you want (the housing with the resistance strip inside it, along with the arm and float) if you have to. I wouldn't recommend a Mustang one though, haha.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Good to know! Thanks! That is what I intend to do. Apparently sedan available, and wagon not. I just want my fuel gauge to work.