Close

Default My car is a factory manual brake car.....

I would like to keep a small manual brake booster setup and go five lug. So how terrible is manual brakes? I’ve seen some restomod/autocross cars using a Wilwood setup that doesnt have a power booster. Just want to keep my car factory light but fun and safe on backroads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its all about leverage to the pedal, either way ya go. If ya wanna keep it you can, just gotta get the correct master and wheel cylinder bores. Manual brakes CAN be just as good as power.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Thanks that helps.

Honestly thought I would have to go power. My car has no power options so I was hoping to keep it that way.

Changing to 5 lug doesn't necessarily change the actual brake package depending on how you convert to the 5 lug.

If you plan making the swap using SN95 parts or others that require a change in calipers, etc. then you want to make sure your SYSTEM is balanced and matched up correctly.

Power Brakes are really Power ASSISTED brakes. The Vacuum booster or Hydro Booster on the later SN95 cars adds assistance to the pedal pressure you apply by foot. The Master Cylinder and the brake system don't know and care if you use power or not. The difference is that with power brakes you can apply more pressure to the brakes with normal foot pressure than you can naturally. So when using NON Assisted or Manual brakes the only way to apply the same amount of pressure is by pressing harder with your foot.

The other point to keep in mind is that the manual brake setup should use a different brake pedal than a power brake setup. This is due to the leverage ratio of manual brakes being higher. If your brakes are OEM manual brakes then you already have the different pedal. If you were converting from power to manual brakes then you would need to swap out the pedal for the correct OEM manual pedal or use a kit such as Maximum Motorsports for the conversion.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Ma...9-93-P678.aspx

Hope that helps or clears things up a bit. Good Luck and let us know how things go!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller