Close

Default Fuel Tank Sending unit info needed on '85GT -5-Speed Carb.

I am replacing my stock fuel tank with a sumped tank from Aeromotive. My stock tank had a electrical plug going to the pick up tube area which is on a raised platform on passenger side of the tank. There was also anther electrical plug that was cut off on the sending unit which is on the lower platform on the tank. Not sure why there are 2 electrical plugs on the stock tank but only 1 harness connector. The new Aeromotive tank has a block off plate where the pick up tubes used to go. And there is a electrical plug where the sending unit is. So I am a little confused. So i have a few questions to ask:

1. Why was the electrical wiring harness attached to the pick up tube assembly and not the sending unit?
    2. Is it possible that someone swapped in a different tank from another year?
    3. Is the harness that has a Yellow and a Black wire the correct for the sending unit?
    4. What part # do I need for a new sending unit?
    5. Am I correct in assuming that I just need to Only Connect the sending unit for my "85 GT?

Here are some pics for you:

Stock Tank Off Car

Aeromotive Tank

FEP Super Member

You have 2 plugs , because that tank has a fuel pump.
    Looks like possibly an 86 to 93 , or maybe it was a cfi .
    My guess is the afore mentioned .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

So can I just leave the Aeromotive tank's pick up tube area up top on the tank capped off. Then just use the sending unit on the lower level? If so, then what yr. sending unit do I need? Want to order a new one for piece of mind.

Thanks

Is this pick up off the stock tank for EFI?

Reason I ask is because both the supply and return line was hooked up prior to me removing the fuel tank. What about the other sending unit with out pick up tubes? Were some stock tanks supplied with both a separate sender and separate pickup?

Thanks

That sure looks like an in tank electric pump to me. If I'm correct then you have a newer tank since the only fuel pump you should have is the mechanical one on the engine.

Definitely an 86-93 style in rank pump assembly.

Let's figure this out for you! See my responses below in blue.

Quote Originally Posted by racerxmd View Post
    . So I am a little confused. So i have a few questions to ask:

1. Why was the electrical wiring harness attached to the pick up tube assembly and not the sending unit? My guess is that they took a tank out of a later model car. Since the sending units are different and read opposite of each other, they just deleted it instead of fixing it correctly.
    2. Is it possible that someone swapped in a different tank from another year? See above.
    3. Is the harness that has a Yellow and a Black wire the correct for the sending unit?That should be correct.
    4. What part # do I need for a new sending unit? Here you go. - https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9275A/Musta...ing-Unit-83-86
    5. Am I correct in assuming that I just need to Only Connect the sending unit for my "85 GT? Are you running an external mechanical or electric fuel pump? You will need to with the sumped tank as the factory fuel pump and hanger will no longer work with that setup.....hence the reason they have the block off plate where the fuel pump used to be.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Thank You! You have answered All my concerns and questions. I just ordered the sending unit you recommended.

Thanks Once Again