Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default trying to replace 86 GT smog items need parts info

OK so Ive decided to put the smog parts that the previous owner removed back on my car to get it back like it came from the factory. I cant find a stock car locally to look at to see what Im missing so hopefully someone can help with some pics and/or part #s. My engine still has the air tube on it that goes to the back of the heads but thats about it as far as I can tell. I can probably find a stock catted H pipe off craigslist or something. I know I also need the air pump and diverter and bypass valves which Ive seen available online. I know there is some tubing and probably some other parts associated with that which Im not sure what to look for there so any help there would be appreciated. Thanks

Start with the most difficult first, then go back through the list.

Everything is itemised as far as possible.

Hardest item is : Your existing EGR. The crossover ports are at the back of the heads, and commonly are blocked up, and don't be supprised if a head needs removal to service it.

Normaly, thats a good time to add alloy heads painted natural iron color, or GT40P's with 90 degree angle plug spark leads. The GT40p's have smaller exhaust valves, and work fine with the verile stock E5 266 degee at lash cam.

In terms of getting the parts put back on, another note:-

Everything from a 1986 emission system was technically designed for 50 000 mile "without intervention" Federal emissions durality, and the hard items were supposed to last the lifetime of the car "with intervention".

Ford expected some of the cars to be used in Rust Belt areas, but really, normal life for a uni body car in the Calcium Magnesium Acetate or Rock Salt covered winter roads would be 10 years. Based on worldwide studies, normal life with Yearly inspection intervention work is 17.5 years for a Ford in a non salted road environ. The statistics for vehicle life has always been public domain from places like Sweeden and the West German TUV from the 50's to date. Fords Canadian and US data isn't kept to the same standard, but form what I've seen the figures are accurate. The Europeans and most North Americans have yearly car replacements, so vehciles that haven't had write off accidents that can be kept in service sometimes are scrapped, so the average life span for various Ford models is comming down.

The "moving average vehicle life with intervention" is public domain, but has some of those issues. A little bit like warranty claims per 1000 vehicles and Red Book Values for 3 year old cars.

Fox Fords, despite the "Rust Tang" label added by many, are true survivor cars.

see http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...on-amp-Testing

Quote Originally Posted by xtasy
    Name it and claim it time.

Haystack found what I did, no common 1986 GT Emmission/ Vacuum Lines diagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post

Should go to the tab/tad stuff. My guess is that if the vacuum lines are missing, so is the rest.

1, 2, 14, 18, 20. 41, 43, 49, 50, 51, 52 and 53 are the critical EGR related parts.

1. Thermactor Air Diverter Solenoid (TAD) - Directs thermactor air from the rear of the cylinder heads to the exhaust H pipe after warm up
    2. Thermactor Air Bypass Solenoid (TAB) - Vents thermactor air during periods when it is not needed (primarily cold starts)
    3. Vacuum Storage Canister - Stores Vacuum to prevent interruption of services during wide open throttle
    4. Throttle Body - Regulates the amount of air entering the engine
    5. Air Inlet Hose - Directs air into the throttle body from the mass air meter (Mass air car) or the air box (Speed Density Car)
    6. Idle Air Bypass Valve - Regulates the amount of air needed to maintain a smooth idle
    7. Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT) - Reports the coolant temp to the computer
    8. Injectors - delivers fuel sequentially to each cylinder
    9. Oil Filler Cap
    10. WOT Cutout Relay - Kills AC compressor during wide open throttle
    11. Fuel Pump relay - The computer activates the fuel pump through this relay
    12. Mass Air Flow Sensor - The Electronic device used to measure the amount of air passing through the meter
    13. Mass Air Flow Meter - Electrically measures the amount of air entering the engine and reports the information back to the computer
    14. Thermactor Bypass Valve - Directs the flow of air supplied by the thermactor (fresh air) pump
    15. Alternator
    16. Belt Tensioner
    17. Air Silencer - Used to muffle incoming air noise (located in the fender)
    18. Canister Purge Solenoid - Allows fuel vapors from the carbon canister to enter the intake manifold
    19. Air Cleaner Housing - Contains the air filter
    20. Thermactor Air Pump - Delivers high volume, low pressure fresh air to the exhaust system
    21. Water Pump, Fan, and Fan Clutch
    22. Air Conditioner Condenser Connections - Attaches refrigerant lines to air conditioning condenser
    23. Center Line Crash Sensor - 90-93 only - triggers air bag in the event of a front end collision
    24. Radiator
    25. Radiator Cap
    26. Coolant Reservoir and Low Coolant Switch (if so equipped)
    27. Power Steering Pump
    28. Battery
    29. Air Conditioning Compressor
    30. Spout Check Connector - Must be unplugged when checking initial ignition timing
    31. Windshield Washer Reservoir
    32. Vacuum Hose Diagram
    33. Ignition Coil - under plastic cover
    34. Starter Relay - under plastic cover
    35. Coolant Temperature Sender - Relates coolant temperature to the gauge in the instrument panel
    36. Engine Oil Dipstick
    37. Electronic Distributor - Controlled by the computer
    38. Front Strut Insulator and Camber Adjustment Plate
    39. Upper Intake Plenum
    40. Brake Master Cylinder and Booster
    41. VIP Test Connectors - computer test ports
    42. Windshield Wiper Motor
    43. Vacuum Distribution Tee - From left to right the connections are: vacuum source (intake manifold), unused, vacuum reservoir, speed control servo (if equipped with cruise), power brake booster
    44. Air Charge Temperature Sensor - Reports the temperature of the air in the intake manifold to the computer
    45. Barometric Absolute Pressure Sensor (BAP) - Reports barometric air pressure to the computer
    46. Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve (PCV Valve) - relieves crankcase pressure
    47. Fuel Pressure Regulator - Uses intake manifold vacuum to lower the fuel rail pressure during low rpm operation
    48. 10-pin connector - Mates the engine wiring harness with the main wiring harness and the EEC computer
    49. EGR Vacuum Regulator Solenoid - Controls the vacuum which opens the EGR valve
    50. EGR Valve and EGR Position Sensor - Allows exhaust gases to enter the intake passage during various engine speeds. Reports valve position to computer
    51. EGR Spacer - Provides a hot gas passage to and from the EGR valve
    52. EGR Coolant Hoses - Circulates coolant through the EGR spacer
    53. Throttle Position Sensor - Relates the percentage of throttle opening to the computer
    54. Transmission Dipstick Tube - Auto trans only
    55. Crankcase Ventilation Tube - Allows crankcase fumes to enter the intake system
    56. Wiring Harness - Cable system that connects all of the engine's electrical components to the computer in the passenger side kick panel
    57. AC Accumulator - Provides a storage area for the refrigerant in the AC system and houses a chemical drier that removes moisture from the refrigerant
    58. Vacuum Check Valve - Allows air to flow in only one direction in order to keep vacuum storage canister fully charged
    59. Hood Ground Strap
    60. AC Low Pressure Switch - Will not allow the air conditioner compressor clutch to energize if refrigerant pressure drops to an unsafe limit

The EGR Vacuum Control solenoid & EGR Vent valve solenoid works on a warm engine. You pull the vacuum line off the EGR and hold your finger over the line while you rev the engine. You should feel vacuum on the EGR line when you rev it, and then it should go away at idle. The EGR Vacuum Control solenoid lets the vacuum through, and the EGR Vent valve solenoid releasing the vacuum.

The computer activates the EGR Vacuum Control solenoid, and then it looks at the EGR sensor via its voltage to see how much it opened.

It does this under Pulse Width Modulation, back and forth, modulating the the amount of inert EGR gas to the engine.

The four element Secondary AIR system is separate, but nothing works in isolation.

* raided from http://foxstang.com/fox-mustang-smog-system-help/

The 86 upper intake has unique porting

The 86 PCV long hose that does a 180 degree loop

^ Solid post right there
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

One thing I forgot is the CJ Pony digram so you can over lay everything.

You have to use the CJpony Breakout list
    http://www.cjponyparts.com/skin/fron...h_FBengine.jpg
    1, 2, 14, 18, 20. 41, 43, 49, 50, 51, 52 and 53 are the critical EGR related parts.
    43, 49 are what you need to find on the diagram below. IIRC, The blue line loops under the intake upper manifold in a quirky manner.

I fixed it up to run the other way

Ford really did its Control Systems Engineering homework on the 86 HO's.

Some of the info is lacking though for 86's, as the LSC Lincoln and other cars with the HO 5.0 have a different schematic.

Its probably better in the earlier 1980 to 1987 version of Ford EFI book

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control:
    How to Understand, Service and Modify, 1980-1987
    :
    Charles O. Probst:

ISBN 9780837603025

Any questions, anthing at all, just post here. If you do that, you get 10, 000 potential helpers or more to come to your aid.

How about some pictures of what you do have. That will help determine what you actually need.

Outstanding, thanks for the posts. Will post some pics tomorrow. Really appreciate it

Here are some pics. If there is a certain view needed that I missed, please let me know and I will take some more after work. Also the car is a 5 speed if that makes any difference. Thanks
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  119.9 KB

Views: 951
Size:  99.1 KB

Views: 950
Size:  127.8 KB

Views: 945
Size:  114.6 KB

Good news. Your engine compartment does not look very hacked up at all. Actually looks quite nice.

The systems you need are:

1. Charcoal canister purge for the gas tank

2. EGR

3. Smog pump system

4. PCV

Technical diagrams etc are posted above. What I'll try and do is go through the systems with individual pictures. My car is 1986 GT Automatic without AC with fairly low miles that is very original and all the systems work so if yours is a 5 speed things may be a little different. You also have AC. I don't know how much different this is but it does make things more crowded.

Lets start with the charcoal canister system. Do you have it? Pictures are posted below.

Name:  IMG_1359.JPG
Views: 1290
Size:  76.4 KBName:  IMG_1364.JPG
Views: 1291
Size:  66.8 KB

Yes I have the cannister and lines as pictured present. They caught a heavy coat of undercoating gunk though, not sure if it is functional or if the lines are connected as I havent checked yet

Looking more closely at your pictures I think you have the complete Charcoal Canister system. Posted below are pictures of the lines. Picture 1 shows the combined hose and wiring coming up from the canister (partly encased in corrugated covering) to just below the distributor as shown in picture 2. At this point there is a wiring plug shown just to the right of the oil filler tube. This is the connection for the electrical to the canister. Picture 3 shows the plastic connector that connects the hose from the canister to a hose that goes to the manifold plenum just behind the distributor. This is where I disconnected mine for removal and cleaning as I also had undercoat on mine. When the computer opens the canister purge valve the vacuum from the manifold purges the canister. My canister purge valve is labeled: E4ZF-9c915-AA. Shown in picture 4.

When you have determined that you have all the parts we can go through the checks for the system if you like. But, I thing the first step is to make sure you have all the parts and if not find the correct ones and install them and then do the functional checks.

Next up is the EGR system. I'll post on that later.

Name:  IMG_1357.JPG
Views: 926
Size:  97.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1355.JPG
Views: 924
Size:  87.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_1356.JPG
Views: 926
Size:  92.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_1366.JPG
Views: 920
Size:  73.7 KB

One thing to note is that in the vacuum diagrams posted above the canister purge vacuum connection is noted as going to the throttle body. This is incorrect as shown in my photos. It goes to a vacuum fitting under the plenum.

Mmmm, still not right.

Manifold Vacuum Fitting Under the Plenumb? Would that be better?

xctasy,

The diagrams one finds seem to be generic and not always correct which can create some confusion at times. Posted below are pictures of my under hood label with the vacuum diagram. Note mine is dual language as it is a Canadian Car with French added. The label is E6AE-9C485-AHJ while the data for my Calibration Code 6-22A-R00 in the Car & Truck Engine/Emission Facts Book Summary from Ford shows the label in English only as E6AE-9C485-AHH. This could be a running change but who knows as my book is November 1986 and my car was built in March 1986. The vacuum diagrams are the same but the label data in the book is a bit different showing a little more data. In both vacuum diagrams the manifold vacuum sources are just listed as 'MAN VAC' which is certainly generic. That is what is great about this site. People can post pictures of what they actually have and what goes where. Your posted photo of the underside of the plenum is a great example together with your updated diagram.

Name:  IMG_2022R.JPG
Views: 909
Size:  89.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_2023R.JPG
Views: 908
Size:  99.5 KB

80sDave,

The EGR system.

Looking at your photos it looks like your EGR system is complete but I'd like to make sure. Can you post a picture of the EGR system like the one I've posted below of mine? My photo shows what you need at the engine, the manifold adapter plate, EGR valve and the EGR Position Sensor with the vacuum lines and wiring. The vacuum line goes to the metal EGR valve and the wiring goes to the bottom of the EGR Position Sensor. Your EGR Vacuum Regulator looks complete and hooked up.

The parts you need for a functioning EGR system are:

1. EGR spacer plate between the throttle body and the manifold with the hot water hooked up.

2. EGR Valve

3. EGR Valve Position Sensor

4. EGR Vacuum Regulator

5. Vacuum lines to the EGR Vacuum Regulator and the EGR Valve

6. Wiring to the EGR Vacuum Regulator and the EGR Position Sensor

7. Correct Electronic Control Assembly (processor)

Name:  IMG_2011R.JPG
Views: 908
Size:  92.2 KB

ectsay,

One thing I noted was that your vacuum diagrams do not show a vacuum restrictor (V REST) in the line from the charcoal canister to the canister purge valve while both the under hood label and the facts book data for my car show one. My car does not have one. Another anomaly.

Evyerthing else on line and has the V RSER as well for 5.0 Resto 1986 Mustang 5.0L emission decal for 5 speed.

https://lmr.com/item/OS-DF0526/1986-...Emission-Decal

AHN (earlier)

Later 1989 BAN

https://lmr.com/item/OS-DF1456/1989-...Emission-Decal

much latter 1989 BBE

https://lmr.com/item/OS-DF1095/1989-...Emission-Decal

Even the MAF 1992, HAM

https://lmr.com/item/OS-DF1435/1992-...Emission-Decal

All have it.

OK if this one doesnt show enough just let me know, thanks.
Views: 896
Size:  110.8 KB

I still need to see if the charcoal cannister purge solenoid is functional and if the hose from it to the fuel tank is connected. May need to get it on a lift to see, car seems to have gotten closer to the ground over the years lol. Also, I pulled the following codes one of which I believe indicated the EGR was having an issue
    KOEO
    Cont
    KOER

80sDave,

From your pictures I believe your EGR system is complete. However, your picture is not really clear enough or close up enough to really see the electrical connection to the EGR Position Sensor (EVP). What I'm looking for is a clear close up picture of the EGR system like my photo. The reason I'm looking for this is I downloaded your pictures and enlarged them and looked at the EGR Valve and EVP and it looks like the electrical connector is not plugged into the EVP properly. Can you check this? Look at my connector in the picture closely.

I looked up your codes in my OTC book. Picture below. I have found this book excellent and I use it with my OTC 4000 Scanner. I bought the book on Ebay and the scanner through my local Craigslist. Both inexpensive. A friend of mine has a break out box that I can borrow at any time. Pretty much mandatory to work on these cars.

Name:  IMG_2038R.JPG
Views: 882
Size:  75.9 KB

Codes:

KOEO
    32 Replace EVP Sensor
    67 Neutral Drive Switch - AC Input

KOER
    94 Test X Air Management System

Cont
    31 Test QQ EGR Valve Postition (EVP) & EGR Regulator (EVR)

The emission codes are 32, 31 & 94. Codes 32 and 31 are EVP codes. This could be as simple as the connector is not plugged in properly as mentioned above. Check this and let me know what you find. If it is not the connector you will have to check the EVP and the EVR which I can help you with.

Code 94 is the Air Management System which we know you have parts missing and does not work so no surprise there. In my next post, hopefully tomorrow, I'll post pictures of the parts you will need to complete the Air Management System and give you some part numbers so you can look for parts.

Code 67 looks like an electrical connection or neutral switch. This may be as simple as the wiring is not plugged into the transmission or a bad connection. Check this.

Forgot Code 44. This is also Air Management System Test X, so basically the same as Code 94 but has a few different tests in OTC Test X than Code 94.

ectasy,

From a review of the 1989 and 1992 emissions labels you referenced I could not see a vacuum restrictor between the canister and the purge valve. This is consistent with the diagrams you posted above. Am I missing something? 1986 AHN has one just like my label. Looking closely at the photos of my system I posted above the vacuum restrictor is visible between the canister and the purge valve in line with a hose on each side as per the label. My mistake there. Would be interesting to know whether the restrictor is used prior to 1986 and if it exists after 1986. Likely need some good pictures of original cars for that.

Quote Originally Posted by 86Stripper View Post
    ectasy,

From a review of the 1989 and 1992 emissions labels you referenced I could not see a vacuum restrictor between the canister and the purge valve. This is consistent with the diagrams you posted above. Am I missing something? 1986 AHN has one just like my label. Looking closely at the photos of my system I posted above the vacuum restrictor is visible between the canister and the purge valve in line with a hose on each side as per the label. My mistake there. Would be interesting to know whether the restrictor is used prior to 1986 and if it exists after 1986. Likely need some good pictures of original cars for that.

You are correct . All 3 batches of VECI diagrams miss that detail. Pre 86, yes, the restrictor is present and listed on the CFi M coded VECI for 1984 and 1985, but its not the same for 1983, 1984, 1985 M code 4-bbls due to the twin bowel vents for the 4180c carb.

The Charcol Canister is not the same. CFi's are similar in most other respects.

Notice how much more simple the Port EFi VECI is compared to the ones listed here. The Ford engineers I'll bet were pretty happy about that...

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...1985-Emissions

Owatonna Tool Company stuff is very good. Robert L Bosch now owns OTC and Actron.

The Ford OTC 3225 ECM Engine Breakout Box

and the Ford Rotunda OTC 007-00026 diagnostic breakout box adaptor

are a much more helpfull with live data.

The OTC breakout box is essentially the 60 pin input live data stream like the Bosch 1350 or OTC 3211 or Actron CP9690 or the later Encore can do for pre OBDII. You can access it for 200 bucks via the 1350/3211 or CP9690.

Live data in later systems like my 129 dollar Alex Pepper Car Code (or 85 dollar, Group Buy) are normally the preserve of the 1996 on wards OBDII's,

but the OTC 3211 is backwards compatable for 200 ping, and live streams as well. The OTC Encore is too, but its ....1500 bux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xs8boce2_w

Quote Originally Posted by 80sDave View Post
    Yes I have the cannister and lines as pictured present. They caught a heavy coat of undercoating gunk though, not sure if it is functional or if the lines are connected as I havent checked yet

Is this better?
    Attachment 116579

Attachment 116580

checked the connectors at the EGR and they seem tight
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 80sDave; 11-02-2017 at 06:04 PM.

80sDave,

Much better. Looks good. Unfortunately looks like you will need to test the EGR components to find out what is giving you the codes. Not too difficult. I can help you with that if you need.

Just in the process of getting ready to post some info on the Air Management System (Smog Pump etc.)

ectasy,

I don't understand your comments regarding the VECI and the vacuum restrictor. Are you saying that the VECI is missing the vacuum restrictor when it is actually in place or is the VECI correct and there are no restrictors? What year is the red car in the photo?

Yes, I've seen a few 1985 CFI cars and the vacuum system is pretty complex. Lots of switches and hoses. Fun to diagnose if you have a problem.

I've only used the OTC stuff as it is readily available here. Also lots available used and inexpensive, particularly older stuff. Parts are also available on Ebay including cartridges. Seems to work good. I've never used the Ford stuff but seen it for sale on Ebay once in awhile. Are you saying that live data is available from a 1986 processor if you have the right equipment? I thought there was no live data available for these processors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast