Close

Default RetroSound Radio head unit

Have any of you guys used one of these before? I have the factory two knob tuning AM/FM in my LTD and am wanting to keep that retro look but also want modern digital radio capabilities. So those who have used them chime in please!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

A buddy of mine has one in his '65 Mustang. It sounds better than anything factory IMO. He really likes it, and the old-school twin post look is nice.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Just completed the install today in my 84. Fit requires a bit of work with their facade for our cars but nothing a Dremel can't solve. Works great. Bluetooth Hermosa unit. Mine doesn't have a sub preamp out but my amp does so it's fine. Let me know if you want details
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT
    84 Mustang Predator GT302H 4S-119

glad to see this pop up. I will need to do something stereo wise. would like something time period correct look with modern capability. details please. thanks

I'd post pictures but I'm maxed out on the account. Here is what I ran into
    1. Buy a Hermosa. Its relatively cheap and if you get an amp just make sure it has a sub pre-amp out because the one downside to the Hermosa is the lack of a sub pre-amp out. I got a Rockville mini-amp. Very underated cheap amps with tons of features such as sub pre-amp out.
    2. The stock head unit stalk surfaces are actually staggered. One is deeper than the other so when you set the stalk heights watch your angles. You'll be doing alot of adjustments to get the Hermosa to sit flat.
    3. Where the manual says don't overtighten the locking nuts on the stalks they really mean it. Look the wrong way at the locking nut and it will strip the stalk. I had to fight with Retrosound to get replacement stalks. In the end they coughed them up. Just be careful.
    4. Once I got the unit test fit and my stalks set correctly (slightly staggered as noted) I JB Welded the inner lock nut that sits behind the dash plate. That to avoid the stalk getting stripped during install when you tighten the outer locking nuts. Hightly advise this.
    5. The Retrosound facade will not fit without trimming on the inner faceplate insert. This is the Retrosound insert that fits between the Hermosa control face (common to all cars) and the Ford OEM face plate. Its not a big deal just expect it.
    6. My drivers side knob rubbed a bit on the OEM face plate. I simply sanded the circle opening a bit. You can't really tell its sanded looking at it so if you reinstall the OEM head unit the alteration is invisible.

I was able to pair my iPhone to the unit. Just have to activate the BT CONNECT setting in the sub menu as noted in the manual. Its factory set to "off". Sound is great, no drama at all
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT
    84 Mustang Predator GT302H 4S-119

Thank you guys for the replies, I'll look into following your guidelines when the money comes up for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

FEP Senior Member

Just an update for all of you interested in this unit. I purchased one recently from classic autosound and it doesn’t work. I ordered the stereo and it took a long time to arrive which worried me in the beginning. I’ve been trying to get a hold of their technical support to no avail. Their technical support has a number that doesn’t work in my area. I’ve asked them to call me and they insist I call them instead.

I hope to get it right but for now, it’s not looking good.