Close

Default Passenger side mirror

Hello i'm looking for passenger side mirror on an 1981 wagon, any idea where I can get one or part number. Should look similar to driver side.

Yours are the very rare fold back "friangable" mirrors normally found on 82-85 Lincoln Continental Mark VI's.

My Japanese spec Mustang had them on a 1980-1982 Thunderbird/Cougar XR7 A pillar stuncheon.

(All the 1980-1982 Thunderbird/Cougar XR7's were designed by Tom Siato, a Japanese speaking Hawian with a very strong culture of good Shinto detail...everything was very international and well executed to meat and beat Japanese regulations. )

The regulations for the Japanese MIT and the EU Regulations (primarily the TUV) had fold back mirror requirements for ALL brand new cars from about 1973 onwards,

but any second hand and private imports could avoid the expense, and often had the stock US plastic or cromium plated A pillar mirrors.

You are free to import some Mustang or other Fox mirrors,

81-82 Granada/78-83 Fairmont

81-82 Granada/78-83 Fairmont

Drivers side 81-82 Granada/78-83 Fairmont

1980-1982 Thunderbird/Cougar XR7

1980-1982 Thunderbird/Cougar XR7

and fit them up using the stock internal adjusters if you can find them.

The other option is the 84-87 Lincoln Continental Mark VI's. They had fold back mirrors standard.

Sometimes, the importing company, usually Fords United Kingdom's Special Vehicles Engineering division, just used Mark IV Taunus or European Granada or Cortina mirrors, or 1980 Taunus TF or the Italian Torino Lancia Beta/Gamma mirrors.

Ford Australia imported 50 or so 1981 Ford LTD 5.8 Liter's, and they all had fold back 1980 Taunus TF mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    The stock JPN door mirrors are like this

Same upper as the 84-87 Lincoln compact.

The normal US stuff is like this

I put Granada mirrors on my old 86 cougar when I was 16. Two of the three bolt holes lined up. So I removed the one bolt and tightened it down plus some minor trimming of the window chrome molding around the mirror.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Thank you for the huge amount of info always usefull. I found some pictures on european Granadas sees like they used the same mirror as you said. Should be easier to find for me since I live in europe .

Thanks to you two

Or, you could swap a set of late Fox convertible power mirrors...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

You could also throw on a set from an old f-150, but not every one is gonna do that when they might be able to get the right ones.
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    You could also throw on a set from an old f-150, but not every one is gonna do that when they might be able to get the right ones.
    I would. I DID! Had a perfect set of original blackout sport mirrors, but I took them off and went to Mustang mirrors.

I think you're onto something with the truck mirrors. Maybe some big, wide towing mirrors would be appropriate.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

The granada mirror was my last option to get through safety.

Truck mirror was the Back up plan if it didn't work.
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Or, you could swap a set of late Fox convertible power mirrors...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    I actually like them on the door instead of the pillar that and ease to find makes me go for the granada mirror

It's a mixed bag on that in my opinion.

My 89 ragtop had the door mount mirrors

Both 86's and my 85 have the front of glass area on the door mounting point.

Gotta call it out -- The way the t-top and ragtop car doors were hacked up before they made the switch to the door mount location is truly bizarre in many ways.

The early mirrors are nice in that they are all the same. They definitely introduce more in-car noise than the door mounting point mirrors. I've yet to see a ragtop or T-top car that fully seals there if you spray the area with a hose.

I know where there’s one in a junkyard on a Continental. Want me to check?
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Quote Originally Posted by Fearnot View Post
    I know where there’s one in a junkyard on a Continental. Want me to check?
    Very kind of you but shipping will be as much as the whole granada unit from europe. Thank you anyway