Close

Default Low fuel light sender

I’m on my second one that’s failed. If I unplug it, does it affect anything else?
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

I think the better question is WHY do they keep failing?? It sounds like there may be a bigger problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    I think the better question is WHY do they keep failing?? It sounds like there may be a bigger problem.
    Well that would normally be my concern, but for something as insignificant as an idiot light, I'm not too worried. I figured my first one would just go on too early and sometimes stay on because its a 32 yr old part. The second one was new old stock of about the same vintage and only lasted a year before it just stayed on all the time.

I was just wondering if I unhook it, it will affect anything else.
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Also, does the "DOWN" refer to anything? Because mine was laying horizontal.
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Never seen that before...is that part behind the warning cluster? If so...I would guess no repercussions from unhooking it. It doesn't look like anything I have seen back at the tank near the actual sending unit? My '82 GT has the idiot light on all the time and I just ignore as my gauge still works.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

The low fuel warning module should be attached to the back side of the passenger side instrument panel.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    The low fuel warning module should be attached to the back side of the passenger side instrument panel.
    Correct. If you take out the glove box and reach up to the left its right there. I get a kick out of how huge it is to enable such a simple function. 80's tech really just based on 70's tech. Reminds me of how an iPhone is more powerful than Norad circa 1969.

So, Fox, do you know if it affects any other functions?
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

It is only for fuel level warning.

Low Fuel Warning Switch Circuit

Improper operation of the low fuel warning system will be apparent when the indicator lamp remains On continually with more than 1/4 tank of fuel or if the indicator lamp remains Off when the tank is empty. If either condition exists, be sure the wiring connector is fully engaged in the low fuel module. Be sure the fuel sender connector is connected to fuel sender. If this does not correct the problem, proceed with the following:

Disconnect the wiring connector attached to the low fuel warning switch. With the ignition On, test the terminal connector positions of the wiring harness connector as follows:

Position 1: Blank, no terminal.

Position 2: Connect a test lamp between terminal and ground. Test lamp should blink. If lamp does not blink, check the following:
    • With ignition Off, continuity should exist between pin two and the fuel sender hat terminal. If this is open, check wiring.
    • Fuel gauge inoperative: caused by open winding within fuel gauge.
    • IVR inoperative: If this occurs, no gauges function.

Poistion3: With ignition On, connect test lamp between terminal and ground. Test lamp should blink and be brighter than position 2.
    • If test lamp does not blink, check IVR.
    • If test lamp works, but is not brighter than position 2, check wiring for open circuit between terminal two and hat side of the fuel sender connector.

Position 4: Connect test lamp between terminal and positive battery terminal. Test lamp should glow and remain On.
    • If lamp does not come On, check for open circuit between pin four and ground.

Position 5: Connect test lamp between terminal and ground. Test lamp should glow and remain On.
    • If lamp does not come On, check warning lamp fuse in fuse panel. If fuse is OK, check wiring between terminal five and warning lamp fuse.

Position 6: Connect jumper wire between terminal and battery positive terminal. Warning lamp should glow and remain On.
    • If lamp does not come On. replace warning bulb.

If all of the above tests prove OK, replace the low fuel warning module.

Position 1: Blank
    Position 2: To Sender - Light Blue
    Position 3: IVR to Gauge - Black/Light Green Dots
    Position 4: Ground - Black
    Position 5: Ignition Switch - Red/Yellow Hash Marks
    Position 6: Warning Lamp - Yellow/Black Dots
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks for that info. I was lucky enough to find another NOS switch for pretty cheap. If that one doesn't work, I'll give the troubleshooting a go...or just leave it off. It just irks me to have an option not work!
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

New one in and so far no light. Hopefully this one lasts.
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air