Close

Default 85 Mustang blower motor resistor help

Hi all,

This is my first post so apologies if I don't properly conform to the culture (I will endeavor to do so as I continue to read, post and learn ). I did try a search of past topics to see if my question had already been answered but I was unable to find anything, unfortunately. Anyhoo, enough preamble:

Details:

'85 Mustang GT "Canadian Cobra"
    Non-AC car
    Blower motor resistor (Motorcraft E5ZH-18591-AA)

My blower motor resistor is no good (corroded beyond recognition). In my attempts to source a replacement I've learned that the part is basically impossible to come by. Summit, JEGS, CJ Pony Parts, NPD, Scott Drake, O'Reilley's didn't have it, etc. I've also heard that Ford no longer carries it either. You can find plenty of resistors out there that are "compatible" with my car but in reality they aren't - they appear to be for a single connector and mine has 2 (one into the harness and one for the motor). I was hoping someone could help me source one (pipe dream, I think) or maybe assist with how best to modify my harness to work with one of these other units. I really appreciate any help with this. Thanks.

Steve

Check e1fz18591a, there is one on eBay for $13.00 and another for 25.00. Per alldata that number is for a non-ac 85 and has 2 connectors
    Last edited by Lowetlx; 10-23-2017 at 02:40 PM.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

Might have better luck searching for service part number E5ZZ-18591-A, rather than the engineering number.
    http://www.greensalescompany.com has 18 of 'em in stock.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Seems like you've come to the right place!!!

You'll find that there are a lot of different applications for the same parts, like that switch was probably used in a ton of cars and trucks. I got mine a few years back from my local NAPA. If you get the right person behind the counter, they know where to cross-check for the right parts. It helps to bring the old one in sometimes. Good luck!

Wow, thanks for the quick response guys. I did take the old one with me when I went to the stores but they had no luck ... guess I never got the right guy. I was able to find one on ebay and I should have it Friday - thanks again. Oh! For funsies I thought I may as well try giving the old one an Evaporust bath. I know, I know - it's a stretch but I had plenty of it and I didn't have anything to lose. If by some miracle it works I'll let ya'all know. Could be a really cheap "fix".