Close

Default solved! '83 balljoint K8259 not fitting

Just received Moog part number K8259 ball joint and found it to be smaller than the one that fits in my spindle, does that mean I have the no longer in production control arms and ball joints. I have been searching but couldn't seem to catch the proper wording to determine if that's what i had or if it applied to my 1983 GLX 5.0 5 speed. Any help would be appreciated, Jim D
    Last edited by JD302; 10-27-2017 at 12:36 PM. Reason: solved

Here is a side by side of the two balljoints Moog K8259 is on the leftName:  balljoints.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  37.6 KB not sure what part number is for currently installed one on right. Is that the one that i have seen the cone shapped SVO spindle adapters '84-'86 for as I think mine is a "later" 83, thanks

Sorry I have not run into that problem but I assure you someone on here will have an answer for you.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

I see you have a couple of '83s nice. I think mine might have the HD suspention option as it has the slapper bars/traction bars and the larger 1 1/8 " front sway bar or maybe that was standard on the 5.0 HO eqiupped. It's all new to me as my first Ford since a '58 with an I6 way back in 1977!

The most important part, the taper, looks to be and is probably the same. Depending on casting thickness around the ball joint "holes" in the spindles, spacers may need to be fashioned to make up for the reduced length of threads on the new ball joint.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Are these parts from Maximum Motorsports produced for this situation and will fit just right? If that is the case then do I indeed have an '84-'86 SVO control arm on an '83? Or different option from '83?

I just meant spacers (like flat washers) for under the ball joint nuts, if once assembled the nuts do not tighten down against the spindles, due to the shorter amount of threads on the new ball joints...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

WT, now I get it, yes that would pull it up tight, thanks. Now i'm starting to wonder if the press fit into the arm could be different also? I don't want to press out the old one until I determine that this new Moog part will fit and stay there. As once I remove the old ball joint to check and measure, I won't be able to move the car out of the way until I get something in it and it could be a long wait? After just reading up on the SVO it seems a very unique vehicle and I doubt they put those control arms on this car. Perhaps there was another option available in '83 that changed the ball joint to, I hope, one that is still available.

What do you know about the history of this car?

what is motivating you to change balljoints? The stock ones in my 1986 had nearly 455K on them when I swapped them during an SN95 brake upgrade. And honestly they were still in perfect running condition. If I wasn't going to an X2 I probably would have left them.

Btw - is it possible someone swapped control arms on you?

82-83 Lincoln Continental as well as 84-86SVO take the wonky large diameter balljoints or the adapters. They correct Ackerman and give options to go up to 11" 4 lug (using 87-93 GT rotors) or 5 lug (using continental / SVO rotors) brake setups.

E50, state inspection said in and out tie rods both sides and ball joints needed. I had already replaced thermactor tube and valve $60. Car was bought off CL fron N eastern Illinois. title showed 47,xxx when they purchaised in 2001 now shows 52,xxx sat for 15 years. I'm not convinced milage isn't 152,xxx, but not much rust underneath and topside is repainted. Ball joints weren't that bad but in removing pass. side noticed rubber boot is torn. I drove the car 160 miles home it tracked and handled fine. Maybe I've put 10 miles test driving around town before getting inspected it runs great. Has an '85 4180 carb on it which was rebuilt this summer per PO. Grandson of the owner put the 8.8 track-lok in they seemed like a motoring family if able to do those type of mods to it, so anything is possible. I didn't expect difficulties in putting ball joints in certainly not in locating parts for this very popular car. Which, I love the car! I've replaced broken tilt steering column $90. Needs a heater core (I'm not scared) and other repairs but it's a keeper! I will just spend a little more time and money on it and that's fine.
    I like working on cars and trucks. So far I have about $3200 in it, not bad a new car payment is $600 a month. I kind of figured I'd have about $5K in any convertible and this is just to drive the grand kids around so no hurry except to pass on the hobby, Emma age 4, already knows every marque that passes the house. I'm lucky in that my daughter and grandchildren live next door as I lost my wife at age 55 to breast cancer 2 years ago. So Emma comes over and we work in the garage, we love it! Quite a ramble and maybe more history than you wanted but you can see that I'll take my time get it fixed up and enjoy the ride.
    Just need to get past this ball joint issue. Is a front end swap in my future and is that what I've been reading about or just try to fit these Moog ones in there an snug them up? thanks Jim D

Just slid the Moog ball joint in there it doesn't even touch the sides of the spindle before it bottoms out on the housing base. Took some measurements for reference. those Maximum Motorsports spindle adaptors might work if they are approximately 34-36mm tall, 5mm metel thickness (x2), reduce the bottom of the spindle hole from 20.7mm to 17.7mm, reduce the top of the spindle hole from 17.5 mm to 13.5 mm (difference of only 4mm /2) so maybe thiner metel thickness at top or stretched and squeezed in as only 2mm needed at top (x2) and 5mm at bottom (x2). Clear as mud right? Guess I need to call MM for dimentions. Unless any other ideas or experiences pop up, thanks

Problem SOLVED! After much reading and researching control arms ball joints etc. I found I had the correct part and number on the box but the WRONG ball joint was in the box! Man, I read suspension posts all the way back to Jan of '17. Thought I had some swapped out, wierd control arm. Nope, just the wrong part in the right box! Well I learned a lot about suspension anyway!
    NOTE; Contribute function is not working I love the website and not looking for a free ride, Jim D

Great news Jim! I was starting to worry about weird ball joint issues coming up in my future. Glad to know you figured it out.

Wrong part in the box... man, you have to hate that!
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Thanks Jim. I read your "Saved" 83 GT, looking for clues to my mystery control arms. Got the Heavy Metal, Awesome. You know it was a 50-50 chance I opened the small, wrong size one, first, my luck! That's alright I got pretty well schooled in Fox suspension parts, great cars! See Ya on the road

Awesome! I've had that happen before. Surprised none of us questioned it....

Sorry to derail, but what is it about '83s and Jims???
    Last edited by FB71; 10-28-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

Quote Originally Posted by FB71 View Post
    Sorry to derail, but what is it about '83s and Jims???
    Any help would be appreciated, Jim D

Jim D talks to Jim D.

The message is this. If your name is Jim, Don't sell your 83's guys, it'll up set some vast cosmic plan......

Aw man... Son of a ... Jim. Father of a Jim. Father-in-law of a Jim... Jr of course. No less than 5 Jims on hand each holiday! Girl talk "My Jim", "Your Jim", "Her Jim". Not to metion the 3 Jimmys in the driveway '48-'97. I just bought the '83 Mustang to be unique... missed again, but great fun, Jim D

Quote Originally Posted by JD302 View Post
    Aw man... Son of a ... Jim. Father of a Jim. Father-in-law of a Jim... Jr of course. No less than 5 Jims on hand each holiday! Girl talk "My Jim", "Your Jim", "Her Jim". Not to metion the 3 Jimmys in the driveway '48-'97. I just bought the '83 Mustang to be unique... missed again, but great fun, Jim D
    Son and grandson of Jims, and the grandfather of two James' (middle names, anyway)
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)