Close

Default 2.3L Blown Head Gasket?

Just rebuilt the head and was in the process of breaking it in Only about 250 miles on it when we found coolant in the oil.

When I installed the head I was very careful and made sure the head bolts were torqued to spec.

Should I have re-torqued the head bolts?

When I redo the head gasket, what do I need to do different? Also, do I need to anything to "flush" the old oil/coolant out of the engine and crankcase?
    1985.5 Jalapeno Red SVO

when you disassemble my advise is to go slow and watch for where coolant came from. the engine will give clues. perhaps you did something incorrectly but... perhaps something was missed the first time ( a crack or whatever). you will be able to see where head gasket leaked if it did. assuming you did chase the head bolt threads and clean them out. somewhere there is a water trail to follow. good luck

You may also want to have the head checked for cracks by a machine shop.

What gasket?

What head bolts? (6 point or 12 point)

When you say the head was rebuilt, what does that mean? Mainly was the head decked? If so, how much?

Are both the head locating dowels installed, and did you check them for depth? (see question if head was decked)

Broadly, with stock type bolts and permatorque gaskets (either 8993 or 1035) I don't ever retorque. Lots say to do it, but it defied logic to me with bolts and those gaskets.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

Any other symptoms besides coolant in the oil? Overheating issues?
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

What was the thing that caused you to take the head off and redo it? Was it also leaking coolant into the oil then?

Quote Originally Posted by Carography View Post
    Just rebuilt the head and was in the process of breaking it in Only about 250 miles on it when we found coolant in the oil.

When I installed the head I was very careful and made sure the head bolts were torqued to spec.

Should I have re-torqued the head bolts?

When I redo the head gasket, what do I need to do different? Also, do I need to anything to "flush" the old oil/coolant out of the engine and crankcase?
    Define rebuilt. How did you discover coolant in the oil?

Cleaned the tapped holes in the block with a tap, and the head bolt threads with a die? Torqued each bolt in sequence to 50-60ft-lbs and then to 80-90ft-lbs.?

Re-torque usually not necessary. My personal preference is always adding 5ft-lbs to the maximum torque spec.

Depends exactly what was or wasn't done. Just pull the oil pan drain plug... coolant exits first.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

What was the thing that caused you to take the head off and redo it? Was it also leaking coolant into the oil then?