Close

Default car market and fox bodies

I like to study the car market ... to be a student if you will. I'm not someone who's trying to be an investor making money flipping cars, just looking to make sure that I make secure financial decisions in the cars I choose to restore.

For example, I just sold a 69 chevelle I restored 10 years ago. I sold it for totally unrelated reasons but upon further looking it almost seems those cars might be peaking out and actually headed for a down turn. If so, this was potentially a good time to sell because I sold it for a high end price.

I have only been able to watch a small part of Barrett-Jackson Las Vegas but I'm curious who else is watching the trends and would share their thoughts on fox mustang trends.

The prices of the fox Mustangs have always been low, due to the same reason a decent '60's era Mustang can still be bought well for under $10k...they made millions of them. That said, as with the older ones, the prices of fox Mustangs have been going up over the last few years, but usually when you see an 80s era Mustang pulling high dollars (for a fox, "high dollars" is over $7k-$10k+) it's usually a nice factory original, unmodified, original paint and interior; you know, one that's not all beat up. These cars appealed to younger guys who wanted a fast car, so they generally have had a hard life with a lot of low-budget alterations done to them. Finding one that hasn't been all cut up and had alterations done to the motor are getting increasingly hard to find, and those tend to drive the uptick in the prices. You can still buy a nice fox mustang for $5k or less if you're willing to look around a bit. It's the same story with the first gen 60's cars, there are a lot of them around for $5k-$10k but you have to look them over so carefully for old abuse and poor restorations.

The cars that have gone across the block recently for big money were essentially zero mile cars, some still with the factory plastic wrap on the interiors. They've literally never been used. If you look at Craigslist or other car selling sites you'll find plenty of highly modified and restored cars going for (well, asking for) mid-teens, but the market for those is very limited. So, if you were looking for investment-grade cars you'd be looking at the special editions, the 79 Pace Car, 84 anniversary cars, Saleens, Mclarens, etc. Even so, for all but the aftermarket shops like Saleen and Mclaren, the special editions were generally just paint and sticker packages, otherwise they were identical to the other cars of the time.

GTs are worth more than LXs, though the cars are essentially the same but for the dashboard and seats and the stripe on the hood. Still, the GT feels faster...must be the stripe...5-speeds are worth more than the CFI cars, though performance is almost the same, the carb made a big difference in HP in 1985 especially. It's also very difficult to modify a CFI engine.

So, if you were an investor, you'd probably want to find a nice Saleen with all it's original paint and parts and pieces in tact. Otherwise, you' buy one to drive and be like most of us!
    Last edited by Matt J; 10-22-2017 at 12:32 PM.