Close

Default Possible charging system issue

Eveytime I work on something the issues snowball into new ones.

I had an ignition system issue and as a result I replaced the TFI and PIP at the same time. the Distro had to be pulled to swap the PIP sensor. Before pulling I cranked the engine until the rotor was on #1 plug. I marked the inside of the distro with marker so the rotor could be repositioned the same way. I also marked the distributor and the intake in 2 spots to insure stabbing it back into the same position when reinstalling.

Ignition issues are solved but now I notice a lazy start that wasn't there before. I had this same symptom when I got the car 4 years ago and I had upgraded to a 3G set up. Have not had a problem until now.

I know being too far advanced can cause a hard slow crank condition. I rechecked the timing with a timing light, set at 12 degrees advanced. Most guys usually set at 14 so Im good with the timing.

Its possible the distro is off by 1 tooth. I noticed yesterday that the system was charging at 13.5 volts. But when I rechecked it was back up to 14.5. Would that fluctuation be enough to leave the battery weak?

I got this kit from LMR. Its a brand new distributor with lifetime warranty.

FEP Super Member

Find why you were at 13.5 , then back to 14.5 volts .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    Find why you were at 13.5 , then back to 14.5 volts .
    Today I pulled out the battery to take it to AutoZone to fully charge it. As I suspected it was only 70% charged when I brought it in.

When I brought the battery back home I decided to remove the bolts on the positive battery terminal and I found a lot of green corrosion on the 4 gauge cable that goes from the alternator to the positive battery terminal. I wire brushed everything and reconnected it all with just a small film of dielectric grease on the contacts. I drove the car around for about an hour stopping 3 times and it started up with a roar each time.

Ill recheck the charging voltage a few more times to be sure.

No such thing as 'one tooth off'. If you have set the timing with a light, with the spout removed, it is what it is.

Sounds like you may have found your issue, double check all grounds as well, the alternator casing grounds to the mounting bracket FYI
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe