Close

Default Putting the car in reverse turns on the dash lights

I got a 86 capri 5.0 with a t5. The car is a factory 5 speed car. The original trans harness was trash so I got a harness out of a 93 gt. The connector plugged right in and the wire colors all matched. The problem is when I put the car in reverse the dah lights turn on instead of the reverse lights. Any ideas??

Not sure how an 86 trans harness plugs into an 87-93, as the connector itself is different.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

I put a 93 trans harness on my 86 capri. The connector under the dash are identical as are the wire colors. The trans is out of a 91 mustang.

They physical reverse switch is on the side of the trans, two prong with a slip on booted connector. I'd look at those colors and compare at the kick panel wiring, although the plugs at the kick panel match up, I'd wager there were some pin out changes over the years. There should be an EVTM pin out for the 86 on here, you'd have to search for the 93 though. I lost mine in a move or I'd hook you up.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

I figured it out! All the wires on 93 trans harness matched up with the connector under the dash except for two. The grey with red stripe and the light blue with red stripe. I wish I would've took pics for future reference. Maybe today or tomorrow I'll pull it back out and get some pics.

So basically what it was doing was sending voltage to the dash light fuse instead of the backup lights.