Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Updated The 1984 GT

Here is what I am calling my 1984 1/4 GT. It's only 1/4 and not 1/2 because I like the 3 piece spoiler. I do have another thread on this car that Photobucket currently has all screwed up. I do still have all the pictures that were in it and I plan to find them and update it as well soon. This is my first thread trying flickr as well.

This car was my Dad's. I have wanted to do this for decades and even had the parts to do so but I was just hesitant due him being the previous owner and not wanting to change it. Slowly over the years I have modified it more to my taste and this was the last straw. I had the car painted for him back in 1992 (old paint was cracking) and it was a surprise gift for him. It turned out to be a truly TV worthy Overhaulin style reveal that everyone talked about until the day he passed and I inherited the car. The paint on the car in the photos is still that same paint from '92 aside from the sail panels and bumper obviously. It's a radio-delete California car originally. It's never had any rust repairs. Back in 1992 I bought a wrecked Emerald Green 1992 LX 5.0 and put everything from the chassis down in this including the control arms, 8.8, front crossmember with brakes, shocks, quad shocks, springs etc. It has subframe connectors and a couple years back I put a 3:73 in it. It has mint 1989 GT interior and as you can see, I put the new TRX wheels on it.

EDIT: These new ones were obviously taken at Foxtoberfest. I have plenty more of the event I plan to put up as well once I see how this flilckr thing goes.

Could not begin to tell you why the only photo I have with the fogs on the hood is also popped. DOH!!

Last edited by homer302; 10-19-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Looks great with the fog light air dam!
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Very nice car Homer. If I had an 84 - that's exactly how I'd want mine. Fog light bumper and rear 3 piece spoiler....

JT
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Nice job!

Looks Great! The fog lights really finish off the 83-86 front ends!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Awesome car Homer! I personally approve, not that it matters much, of the 84.5 bumper and 3 piece spoiler. I think that is the way all 84's should have come....but I might be a bit partial.

It was the best looking mod I have made to my early 84 GT and I'm glad I did it.

BTW...I'm glad you finally got Flickr figured out.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Awesome car Homer! I personally approve, not that it matters much, of the 84.5 bumper and 3 piece spoiler. I think that is the way all 84's should have come....but I might be a bit partial.

It was the best looking mod I have made to my early 84 GT and I'm glad I did it.

BTW...I'm glad you finally got Flickr figured out.
    Yeah, thanks for the advice on installing the bumper AND flickr. And it was great to see your car in person at Foxtoberfest. I never saw you over by it. You were probably like me, just busy trying to see all 600 cars. Hate I missed the FEP photo shoot at the end too. I will get my pics up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Yeah, thanks for the advice on installing the bumper AND flickr. And it was great to see your car in person at Foxtoberfest. I never saw you over by it. You were probably like me, just busy trying to see all 600 cars. Hate I missed the FEP photo shoot at the end too. I will get my pics up soon.
    I appreciate it. Its a work in progress but it makes me happy....most of the time.

I didn't realize that one was yours. Wish I would have been able to meet up with you.
    Between running around taking in the sights and running into other members, I didn't have the chance to hang around my car very much. Somehow 8 hours flew by in a heartbeat. Sure didn't seem like I was there that long.

Hopefully next year will work out also to where we can maybe organize a little less hectic ordeal and get all FEP members at the show in the shoot. I think that was really an impromptu photo. It started out as a couple cars, mine and Joe's, and grew out from there.

I for sure will work my tail off to have an organized FEP photo shoot next year.
    Brock

FEP Power Member

Awesome! Hope you keep that car and enjoy.

homer your 84Gt looked great at Foxtoberfest, I should have invited you to our little photoshoot that day.

The two other previous wheels besides the new TRX:

EDIT: For those really paying attention, that is a motorcycle burnout in the foreground (CBR900RR) that apparently had ALMOST but not quite worn away when the next picture with the Pony wheels was taken. Some of us never grow up.

The three steering wheels:

This is the OEM wheel. Hated this wheel when these cars were new in the showroom. The rim is really tiny and hard (that's why there is a cover on it obviously) and the whole thing flexes during cornering because of all the open space. It's awful.

A big improvement on the OEM wheel but you lost the cruise control and the diamter is a little big

The current wheel. I like it because it keeps the cruise control and it looks nice and it's nice and thick so it

feels nice.

Last edited by homer302; 10-20-2017 at 08:10 PM.

You have a beautiful Car!

For some reason, I think the turbine wheels actually look pretty good. Of course, the new TRX is the best wheel for this car, which is beautiful, one of my favorite colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn V View Post
    For some reason, I think the turbine wheels actually look pretty good. Of course, the new TRX is the best wheel for this car, which is beautiful, one of my favorite colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the kind words. It's funny you say that. Back in around 1990 when my Dad had it, we had one phone-dial on it and one turbine on the same side and Dad and myself and my friends who all had 5.0s (Damn I miss those days) were voting on wheels. The Turbine won unanimous! And if you just asked any of us without seeing it on this car, we didn't care for the turbine. I bought those used for $125 even back THEN. They are so hard to clean and then they are clear coated on top of that. They were on it from then to maybe 2008.
    Last edited by homer302; 10-21-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Funny! I have a cbr954 i haven't ridden in two years. But at one time right before I put new tires on it, there was a giant smiley face in the street in front of my house that had a diameter roughly twice the wheelbase of my cbr. Stayed there for more than a year!

That is really really nice!!! And a nice backstory too!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    This is the OEM wheel. Hated this wheel when these cars were new in the showroom. The rim is really tiny and hard (that's why there is a cover on it obviously) and the whole thing flexes during cornering because of all the open space. It's awful.

I HATE this wheel also. One day I'm going to get mine changed out to something better. Ford's engineers were not thinking very hard on this design. This has to be the worst wheel design ever!
    Brock

Very nice...! Looking Great!

What a nice mustang. I really like the svo sail panels.

The TRX's look hot as hell too.

FEP Senior Member

It looks very good! Though I have to admit I also like your previous wheel combinations as well, the turbine wheels look very good as well as the second steering wheel.

When did they switched the three piece spoiler to the rounded one piece spoiler? I thought 83 was the last year of the 3 piece spoiler.

Real nice
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

FEP Super Member

84 was the last year of the 3 piece spoiler .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

That is one of the sharpest mustangs I have ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I HATE this wheel also. One day I'm going to get mine changed out to something better. Ford's engineers were not thinking very hard on this design. This has to be the worst wheel design ever!

It was so you could see the park brake and indicator stalks and horn....

LOL, you all were lucky!...enjoy it, the wheel coulda gotten a whole lot worse.....

Somewhere there is a picture of Henry Ford II holding the wheel in a 1979 magazine photo shot...a true classic...

the wheel was a 1979 Australian XD Fairmont Ghia copy.

After "XEperimentation" with some kind of drugs, it only got worse in 1982-1985....

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    It was so you could see the park brake and indicator stalks and horn....

LOL, you all were lucky!...enjoy it, the wheel coulda gotten a whole lot worse.....

Somewhere there is a picture of Henry Ford II holding the wheel in a 1979 magazine photo shot...a true classic...

the wheel was a 1979 Australian XD Fairmont Ghia copy.

After "XEperimentation" with some kind of drugs, it only got worse in 1982-1985....

Ok, those really are pathetic, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast