Close

Default McLaren top release

Does anyone know what might be the problem with my McLaren top release as it sounds like it is turning but doesn't unscrew the top? Maybe stripped or a pin is broken? Have no clue and have no idea if there is a manual for this. Thanks

FEP Power Member

There are a couple of things. Things vary a little with the year. Some need the ebrake on possibly. The are switches on the motor as well.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Ebrake was on. I am told the release motor might need rebuilding, but haven't taken it out yet. Thanks

FEP Power Member

What year? There are two versions.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Built around May 1989. Henry from ASC in Florida says I probably need to send it to him to have the release motor rebuilt at a cost around 300. Not sure how to get to the motor as the back of the tonneau only goes so high. Looks like two bolts can be removed on each side of a rod to make it go higher, but don't want to take a chance on doing something wrong. Henry says I can find a manual online, but so far I can't find one. Even if I can access the motor I would think the screw catch would stop me from pulling it out.Thanks

http://www.ascmclaren.com/diagrams.htm perhaps? NOT well organized, but...

Mike

Here are the official instructions on how to work your top (By the ASC guru, Sandy Block):

http://www.ascmclaren.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3170

I had an 88 Mclaren and (If I recall) you push the top of the button to release the top and it should release the tonneau cover as well as the top itself. I don't remember having to 'unscrew' the pin. When you put the top up, you should shut the tonneau (like a trunk) then insert the pin into the hole and push the bottom of the button to get it to 'screw' down to the tonneau. I remember having to hold down the back of the top so that it would catch, so you might just need to do that.

I have an 86 McLaren, now, and the top action is very different.

Thanks, I know how to work it when it works properly, I have the supplemental instructions you get when you buy the car. The problem is the motor seems to not be unscrewing, but am now referred to the ASC where there are instructions to remove the motor that releases the top which I didn't see before. I am told by Henry of ASC that the motor probably needs to be rebuilt.

Check thru http://www.ascmclaren.org/phpBB/ for cheaper solutions than sending it the Henry.

Just sayin', I'm not familiar with Mustang McLarens.

Mike