Close

Default fuel sending unit

Hello everyone,
    I have an issue with my fuel system on my 81 fairmont wagon:
    fuel tank sending unit is shot, fuel tank is junk (rusted nearly trough)
    I did find a fuel tank but no sending unit, does there any parts cross refer from mustangs?
    I also need a floor pan for the spare wheel do they make these or do i have to fab one myself?

I know many parts are interchangeable between the Mustang/Capri and the Fairmont, but I am not 100% on what an how much since I have never owned a Fairmont.

Here are some fuel tank sending unit options.

https://lmr.com/products/79-93-Musta...k-Sending-Unit

Not sure that this will work with yours being a wagon and all but a floor/trunk replacement.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-11215A/must...-section-87-93

There may be other options, but that's a start. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Rockauto.com lists a Spectra F2A tank for the 81 Fairmont.

Cale

FEP Power Member

The fuel sending unit can usually be rebuilt. Look for companies that repair gauges. Check Hemings.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

A bit of creative rework on a reproduction early Mustang/Cougar sender should get the job done.

Name:  fsu2_1.1786.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  34.5 KB

The front-mount Fairmont sender is pretty similar to what was used in early Mustangs/Cougars, and has the
    same resistance range. The early Mustang sender has a single-pin connector and uses the tank mounting
    to provide the ground path for the sender. The Fairmont sender uses a two-pin connector, one pin to the
    gauge, and the other to ground. An early Mustang/Cougar sender with the low fuel warning feature also
    uses a two-pin connector.

The '65-early '67 sender has a 5/16 hose nipple, while the mid-'67-'68 sender has a 3/8" hose nipple.
    Last edited by JACook; 10-20-2017 at 11:49 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    A bit of creative rework on a reproduction early Mustang/Cougar sender should get the job done.

Name:  fsu2_1.1786.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  34.5 KB

The front-mount Fairmont sender is pretty similar to what was used in early Mustangs/Cougars, and has the
    same resistance range. The early Mustang sender has a single-pin connector and uses the tank mounting
    to provide the ground path for the sender. The Fairmont sender uses a two-pin connector, one pin to the
    gauge, and the other to ground. An early Mustang/Cougar sender with the low fuel warning feature also
    uses a two-pin connector.

The '65-early '67 sender has a 5/16 hose nipple, while the mid-'67-'68 sender has a 3/8" hose nipple.
    Thanks for the advice, my biggest concern is the mounting flange are these all the same?
    I was thinking of this option yesterday when scrolling rockauto.
    Probably will try this since the other is so corroded and plugged at the same time repair would need me actually build it from flange off.
    I'll keep you guys informed but it will wait to januari to get to it.
    (Need to finish the kitchen and my kids room first.
    I disassembled because I hoped for a quick fix but found rust on the chassis beam at the filler neck and the wheel well for the spare tire is completly rotten.

Yes, the Mustang/Cougar sender uses the same flange, but rotated 180º, with the connector at the top, and the
    fuel line below. The locating tabs on the M/C sender are a bit south of 3:00 and 9:00. The locating tabs on the
    Fairmont sender are a bit north, so you will need to file a couple extra notches in the sender opening in the tank.

If you start with the version with the low fuel warning feature, that will get you the same style 2-pin connector.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune