Close

Default Ford Racing AL driveshaft

Is anyone else running a Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft?

I bought one for my 1986GT 5.0 T5Z so I could repurpose the original from my 86 for my Saleen clone build.

Life happens and the other day my son's 86 5.0 T5Z convertible developed a terrible vibration in the driveline. The issue was the U joints and after spending much of the day on reinstalling the dash and fixing vacuum leaks and replacing brakes about the last thing I wanted to do was fight U joints without a press. So to the parts shelf.

Or not!

What I ended up finding is that the Ford Racing driveshaft is relatively generic in applications listed. It is a full 1/2" longer than the stock 86 driveshaft.

It seemed like I could not have beaten that driveshaft into the trans far enough to put the car on the ground if I got out a BFH. The shaft itself is fine but the yoke not just broader to accommodate the larger diameter shaft, it's also longer.

I thought about swapping to a flat style rear transmission seal and shoving the engine/trans forward as far as possible in its mounts but let's face it - by that time it's easier to do U joints.

so the new shaft is still in the box and the original 86 shaft is rebuilt with greaseable U joints and is back in.

Curious if anyone else had conflicts due to length when trying to install the FR AL driveshaft in a 5.0L + T5 or T5Z car.

I don't have experience with the Ford Racing shaft, but I do run a homemade aluminum shaft in one of my cars. It's a shaft that has been altered from another vehicle, shortened and a different yoke installed, iirc. The first thing that pops into my head is that you probably should have had more than 1/2" of play to begin with. The yoke should never "bottom out" in the tail housing...there should be enough movement either way so that it can slide freely without bottoming out. If you only had 1/2" of play, then I would be concerned that the movement of the rear end would jar the transmission and possibly damage something.

Someone here may correct me, as I'm not currently looking at any of my cars. But I want to say most of them have more like an inch of play.

Default Ford Racing AL driveshaft

I have a Ford Racing aluminum drive shaft and T5Z in my 5.0 car. I didn't have any installation difficulties. Does your p/n match a Fox Mustang application? These were made for other years, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Saturn V; 10-19-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

I've ran the FRPP piece in T5s, AODs, C4s.. Never an issue.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

If it were me, I'd make it work at this point. Mark the cut out, then I'd get a cold, wet rag and cut the yoke with an angle grinder and a cut off wheel a little bit at a time while keeping it cold. Grind a lead-in, and wire wheel out the splines on a bench grinder.

Cale

I do not have any experience with the Ford racing DS in a foxbody. SN95 yes and I had no issues. I’m running an AWD Aerostar aluminum DS in my Saleen. I’m using the mustang yoke and flange and it fits perfectly. Saved like 14 lbs from the stock one. Might be a cheap alternative for your son while you figure your Ford DS out.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Are you 100% certain that the T5 in your son's '86 isn't actually a '94-'95 T5? I'd at least take a measurement to rule this out. This would explain the driveshaft length differences.

2003 FRPP catalog shows one drive shaft for 79-95, M-4602-G, 45.5" CL to CL

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    2003 FRPP catalog shows one drive shaft for 79-95, M-4602-G, 45.5" CL to CL

Mike
    Yep, this is why I wonder if he doesn't have a SN95 T5 with its 1" longer input shaft in the '86. This would explain why the driveshaft is too long.

I have sn everything in my 79 and i had to shorten my sn shaft 1 5/8 to work

His car has a FRPP T5Z in it.

I will double check the part numbers the next time I'm at storage.

Running the Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft on my 1984 RS with a Z-class T-5 and it was a direct fit with no issues.

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action