Close

Default restoring ford fairmont futura

I'm new to this forum so any suggestions would be much appreciated! I am trying to restore 1982 Ford Fairmont Futura. But I really want to hod rod it. Not for racing ,but just to make it cool. I would like to put larger wheels (not 22" dubs) like cragars or similar race looking wheels. would I have to change the spindles from four lug bolts to five? And if I wanted to change from the straight 6 to a 5.0 some one told me about changing the K member. if anyone can direct me to a thread that can give me some ideas on making this car cool I would appreciate it.

FEP Member

Welcome to the site. Lots of good info on here about swaps so read up in the appropriate sections, and I'm sure others who have done it will chime in with extra info. Keep in mind, as far as swaps go, there is not much difference between a Mustang and a Fairmont other than driveshaft, wheelwell size and offset, and exhaust length so the Mustang discussions apply to your Fairmont. In the men time, post up some pics and lets see what you are working with! Lots of Wheels look great on these, just getting the right offset is the key as the wheel wells are smaller than the Mustangs so harder to squeeze big tires in there.

Welcome! I'm afraid You'll need to be more specific. First of all, What body style is your car? Given that all Fairmonts were Futuras for '82, although we can rule out the wagon. Secondly, yes, everything you asked about is covered in great detail here. For example, there's this thread all about the 5-lug conversion.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...version-Thread

As for the 302 swap, you CAN swap the k-member, but you can also use the I-6 one. If I were you, I WOULD swap because yours is a later car so that if you grab a later Fox drivetrain, everything bolts right up like it's supposed to be there. AOD, T-5, crossmember, and tranny mount. All right where they're supposed to be. Earlier cars (like mine) have other challenges there.

Anyway, TONS of cool Fairmont/Zephyrs here. It's pretty much Cool F/Z HQ as far as forums go. Take a look in the Other Early Fox and Online Car Show & Tell sections and browse some build threads! I recommend this on in particular.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ephyr-ES-Build
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual