Thanks its mine
    Mustang Week Staff
    www.mustangweek.com
    1980 Cobra
    1981 coupe 6 cylinder
    1982 GT
    04 Lightning
    14 GT

Mann, I love these cars! Thanks so much for posting the pics, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    So I will follow up with a whole new post. Don't drive down expecting to win something. This is a 1987-1993 show at the end of the day. It just is what it is. The VAST majority of those people who own them now never recall seeing a 79-86 and they couldn't begin to tell you what an original one should look like. They look down on us as if to say why would you not want a 225HP aero car? You must be weird. It's really a modified 87-93 show if you want to get down to it. But that doesn't deter me personally and I don't think it does Brock either. He drove 2,800 miles with no radio and I'm pretty confident in saying he is coming back next year. If you go to the Mustang 360 website and look at Foxtoberfest photos, I'm pretty sure you won't find a single original or even somewhat CLOSE to original 4 eye. A couple SVOs because they are easy to spot but I guarantee you the person who took them couldn't tell you the displacement of an SVO, let alone any details on one. There is still no love. The aero cars are dragging the values of our cars along with them which I guess we should be happy about.

Thanks for the insight. I had a lengthy post written but my fickle computer zapped it. So I will just summarize by noting that, from my perspective, it is kind of sad that the original/restored cars, especially Four Eyes, have been squeezed out of an event in which they logically could (or should) be welcomed and embraced. As Homer said, it is what it is, and I get it.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

As long as I continue to make the trip, I will represent the ALL ORIGINAL cars the best I can Next year I'm bringing the '82GT so there will be at least one all original 4-eye. But agree that there are so few ALL ORIGINAL cars surrounded by all the modified cars...it really makes it hard to vote. This show is way to big to be judged, but what might help is if they could find a way to segment out the parking further from just 4-eye aero, but to also segment out original vs modified. Might be too tricky to pull off as hard as the SEFB (Orange T-shirt Mafia) already works in the morning.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    So I will follow up with a whole new post. Don't drive down expecting to win something. This is a 1987-1993 show at the end of the day. It just is what it is. The VAST majority of those people who own them now never recall seeing a 79-86 and they couldn't begin to tell you what an original one should look like. They look down on us as if to say why would you not want a 225HP aero car? You must be weird. It's really a modified 87-93 show if you want to get down to it. But that doesn't deter me personally and I don't think it does Brock either. He drove 2,800 miles with no radio and I'm pretty confident in saying he is coming back next year.
    That is a true statement as it stands.
    Ultimately it is an Aero show as they are what most Fox fans consider a Mustang. To me it was encouraging to see the amount of 4 eye Mustangs and even the "other" Foxes (Fairmonts, LTD's, Capris, etc.) that showed up. IMHO...it's good to shake up the hobby a bit.

As I have been almost preaching in my part of the country, if you don't get these cars out and in these shows, meets, or cruises, they will never gain respect or traction in this hobby. Out of all of these events over the past couple years I have put my car in, I didn't do it with the mentality that I'm doing it for the chance of winning a trophy. I know that my car is not trophy quality and I'm OK with that as I did not buy it with that intention, I actually bought it to drive and enjoy. I enter these events for the sake of getting the 4 eyes out into the public view and if I can get more involvement from our group that is a trophy in it's own. For me, if someone that owns one sees mine out there and says "Hey, someone else brings theirs out, maybe next time I will join them so I'm not alone" that is a huge win for me.

I feel that is beginning to work as, even locally, there are more beginning to pop up and get around. This year at the Annual Mustang Show, there were actually 3 other 4 eyes that showed up. A couple of them came over and talked to me about things related to our generation of cars as they were directed my way via other Mustang guys. It was kinda funny as that is usually how the convo started. "Yeah, that guy over there sent me your way. He said the guy with the Tan car is usually out and about promoting these cars and thought you might be able to give me some guidance on *said issue, part, so on*" I got no problem with that. There is a lot I do not know about these cars, but I'm willing to help with what I know and foster a good impression for us 4 eye guys. That's what it takes IMHO......not a trophy.

Can I win a trophy locally? Slim chance. Would I think about winning one 1,200 miles away in a "popular vote show", being an "outsider" in a car that was driven there and may still have dirt and bug residue in places? Not a blooming chance in hell honestly! And again I'm OK with it. The adventure of driving it there, through different and some amazing scenery, meeting new people with the same interest in cars as I have and actually seeing so many 4 eyes in one spot is my "Trophy". I was blessed to have such an adventure and those memories will never sit and collect dust. Will I drive 2,600+ and do it again? You bet.....though it will not be without a radio this time!
    Looking forward to getting her patched back up and making a return trip to N.C. next year. There's still more people I need to meet, things to see and memories to make.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 10-23-2017 at 08:28 AM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    I gotta get better about planning things... I'm sure I could have gone to this. Last year I was like "I'll go in 2017!"

Now I have 3 vacation days I'm going to use for something not at cool.

I'll try again in 2018. Who wants to convoy down from Michigan next year, or join me on the way?

Cale
    Might be up for it next year Cale, heck we did Mustang Week this year so why not.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    This show is way too big to be judged, but what might help is if they could find a way to segment out the parking further from just 4-eye aero, but to also segment out original vs modified. Might be too tricky to pull off as hard as the SEFB (Orange T-shirt Mafia) already works in the morning.

Interesting idea Jason.

If any of you has been involved in the planning and logistics of a large car show, how the parking is organized, and how efficiently it is run, can be a major determinant on how well a show plays out and how satisfied are the participants. If Foxtoberfest was to have a dedicated section for original cars, as opposed to them being lost in the sea of modified Aero Nose cars, these owners might be enticed to return.

Is there a place, maybe to Matt & Jen after the dust settles, to make this suggestion?
    Bob in Lebanon, TN

Any show can be improved on, I think this show took even Matt by surprise. The turnout is HUGE. Hats off to him and the team! I love it and will do it again next year. I love the drive down and back with all my buddies and cars as much as the show. Scott, my brother in law and and sister hosted quite a few of us, next year we should eat him out of house and home. Let's fill his driveway with four eyed cars!
    Thanks to everyone for making it a great time. Until next year!
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

Yes. My wife received a poll to fill out online after the show. She suggested that the cars should be split up by classes. I actually hate car shows where Im supposed to vote but the cars are all scattered and all they are given is a number. I usually dont even waste my time trying to vote at shows like that. It seems like laziness to me on the part of whoever is involved in the show.
    I am in the local Mustang club and we have about a dozen classes all seperated. Its not that much more work and only requires a few more people to direct the cars to the correct class.

A show like this brings enthusiast together for the love of a vehicle & not a piece of plastic to make you fell better about yourself. It should stay the way it is.
    Mustang Week Staff
    www.mustangweek.com
    1980 Cobra
    1981 coupe 6 cylinder
    1982 GT
    04 Lightning
    14 GT

Maybe I should clarify my concern, as I understand the issue as described by comments above. It is that original cars have been effectively squeezed out of the event. The few that are there are lost in the sea of modified cars. Just have a show organization which allows them to park together. Maybe that will allow for more attendance and acceptance and appreciation. If competing for an award is part of it, fine. If not, fine.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN

Yes there is an avenue to suggest the possible change and I will do that....I am pretty close with one of the guys on SEFB that take the lead on parking, so I will talk to him and guage their interest if they think it could be pulled off.

And I agree with snkchmr...the show is great and does not need to change. It's not about the "trophy" by any means, that is just the cherry on top. But if the show can be improved, and grouping cars even more together helps improve that then it can only be a positive. A good example...2016 was the first year they segmented the parking by 4-eye, Aero and some Specialties. I heard several good comments about that change. No reason to think it can't be expanded...if the Orange T-shirt Mafia are up for it
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

thanks for taking time to take and load all the pics, its like being there.

Yes thank you for the pics. This event is definitely on my list of things I want to do. Maybe next year!
    Amy MCA #81079 3rd generation gold card judge, 1993 Ford Probe GT
    1979 Cobra
    1979 Ghia coupe
    1979 5.0 coupe
    1980 turbo coupe
    1990 7 up
    1993 Yellow /black feature convertible 14k miles
    1993Yellow/black feature convertible AC delete
    1995 Cobra hardtop convertible
    1998 GT convertible

Sowaxeman, I agree totally with your above statement. I know a few members of sefb too. I will see them this weekend and plant a bug in their ear too.
    Your pics are great. Thanks for all that work. My svo didn't look to bad except for my hood pad. That has to go.

I agree with snkchmr. But I think the part that makes this so great is that it's not meant to be a show...it's an event. I think trying to make it more of a show would hinder it. This event works because nobody (well a few ) cares about the trophy. You can show up in your project or your barn find and park next to a magazine car and it's all good. I'm personally not happy with the separation of years and styles. I like the old way where you could show up with your friends, family or club and all park together and enjoy the event. To me its also boring ( for lack of a better word) to walk down a row of 200 aero's and then 200 4i's. I loved the old way where the next car could be a saleen and ssp an svo a cobra.....whatever. You could be with your son or friend and compare the difference and similarities of the different years and models with them. By separating them to me it also continues to cause the divide between the different models that already exists (4eye/aero, saleen/everyone, cobra/everyone...etc) Just roll in and park next whatever and enjoy the event and enjoy the FOXES! Again, just my opinion....not to step in any toes because I love the show and ALL foxes!

I agree with all opinions on this debate actually, I'd love to see further separation to make the voting a bit easier. But I also wouldn't care if the voting/trophies went away and we just enjoyed the day, with maybe just SEFB and FMR picking their favorites in each class. I particularly LOVE this statement...truer words couldn't be spoken

Quote Originally Posted by N2MUSTANGS View Post
    it's not meant to be a show...it's an event.....show up in your project or your barn find and park next to a magazine car and it's all good.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Hi guys!

Troy from SEFB here and I love the back and forth with feedback and ideas...a lot of which I agree!

Not sure I agree that anyone is getting squeezed out of the show...at least not on purpose, maybe you meant by happenstance because of the shear number of Aero’s built/in attendance??

Last year, there was darn near a 60/40 split of Aero’s to Four-eyes, but the Aero’s surged this year to further tilt that ratio.

The venue space vs anticipated(but unknown) attendance really is what dictates how we handle parking the Foxes, trucks/trailers and spectators. If we had an endless parking lot it would be easy(although more spread out...then people would complain about that...lol), but with ~330 pre-registered this year, how do we know of it’s going to increase by 30, 50 or 100% on the day of??

So many challenges, but in the end we will try to organize it as best we can while maintaining the relaxed atmosphere Foxtoberfest is all about!!

I have a huddle with Matt and Jenn scheduled in a couple weeks where we’ll debrief about what worked and what didn’t with thoughts on all of the above to continue improving this event!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Troy! And WOW what a stat...darn near a 100% increase with day of show registrations?! This tells me our fellow Fox enthusiasts need to have more faith that they will make it to the event...and need a deeper understanding of how important Pre Registration is to the folks that work their tails off
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I'll be bringing my 1984 Dominator next year, looks like a great place, the stock appearing Fox's need me!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123