Close

New User

Default '85 GT 'vert w/ 351 Cleveland???

anyone heard of such a thing??? Ran across a For Sale ad for an '85 GT 'vert 5 speed, touting it was "factory modified". Ad shows a "Ford Authorized Modification" sticker under the hood, tho it makes no reference to a 351 Cleveland... & there are no engine shots.
    Randy Smith
    Santa Clarita, CA
    '16 Ram 2500 ccsb 4x4 6.4L
    '08 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    '04 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

That's a new one for me. Sounds like a new "Everhart" twist. Those that kept tabs on the FYI ebay and craigslist ads a few years back will know what I'm talking about
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I can't imagine Ford would have anything to do with a Cleveland engine in 1985 unless this was some Australian edition car. But the answer to your question is no I haven't.

Not convertible, but plenty of photos of the Cleveland and Cleveland based bigger 400 swap. The link below goes through the many 400 Ford, 351C and even a 302C examples built here and over seas. It's a much loved swap.

The engine was available ex SVO after Fords authorised US supply dried up. It was the NASCAR or pillow block, or XE cast Ford Australian item. Due to international supply to De Tomaso from 1978 to 1989, the Geelong plant made a few extra stockpliles after the offical Burn notice issued by Henry Ford II for 1982. Some of the US 351C "Cleveland" tooling was sent to Australia in 1974, but damaged in transit, sent back to the USA for repair, then resent to the Geelong plant. The shallow deck 351C's were not made in the USA untill 1988, when the WCP 351 9.2" block was cast for SVO.

The US 351M was techncically its replacement, and as the 351M and 400, these tall Cleveland based engines with BBF bellhousings were found in pickups, and Broncos, even with Duraspark III and Feedback Motorcraft Variable Venturi carbs right up till 1983.

It was a piece of cake to rebirth it in 1988 when there was no more supply form Australia.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...nd-Engine-Swap

351c Mustang at the Sturgis Mustang Rallye 2012

picture 103_0669.

Any one know the owner?

Quote Originally Posted by bmf347 View Post

The picture that didnt show in your tag (above) has a 351 Clevland in it. Nice guy. He stopped to help out my buddy when he sheered off his wheel studs on his 07 shelby.

New User

yea... sounds suspicious to me... the chronology seems all wrong. The 351M/400 swap would seem more viable, given the model year. But can't even imagine a dealer doing that swap. One pic had a "5.8" badge on the front fender where the 5.0 would go... it didn't look right. The interior had the gray sport seats with the red piping... red carpeting... red lower dash, gray dash pad & door panels... different. Looked fairly straight & rust free, but car was VERY dirty & weathered. At $7k (asking), I think I'll keep looking.
    Randy Smith
    Santa Clarita, CA
    '16 Ram 2500 ccsb 4x4 6.4L
    '08 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    '04 Chevrolet Corvette Z06