Close

FEP Power Member

Default Dashes Direct Urathane Dash Pad

I know there are a number of threads on the dash pad. When I searched a month ago, I could not find any info on this new version of dash pad. I have seen a few listed on EBay and they were pretty much the main restoration sellers. I was looking for a red replacement and saw a few listed. Then they seemed to be out if stock everywhere. I began to get a feeling they went out of production. Details were limited as well. They claimed to be a vinyl skinned foam like the OEM. I ended up buying one from Summit. Decent price, free shipping and drop shipped.

What I got was NOT as advertised. The dash pad was a urathane type and included a tag saying don't ever try painting it. Paint will not stick. I was a abut ready to return it but then I noticed it had a sheet metal core which supported it quite well. Next concern was color matching. I had to put it in the car to see how that looked. It actually was not too bad of a color match to the factory red. So far all was good.

Next was the fit. Here we had some minor issues. Screw holes by the defrost need to be drilled. They were marked. Screw holes and tabs around the cluster were present and clear of excess material. The horizntal. Front facing holes on each corner were not drilled. I did have a couple of issues on the passenger side, front. It just was not going in and after getting it in the front center had the classic problem of sitting too high. I found the center tab sheet metal bent at the wrong angle. Next it still would not sit down correctly. There was excess urathane on the backside of the metal tab which I trimmed off. Still not sitting down enough. The metal tab was slotted side to side for the screw. I ended up having to slot it vertical to get it to sit down. So the dash pad would cntact the dash hull at the center. I ran out oif time to finish it up 100%.

Overall. The red dash pad seems ok. There were some half closed holes in the outer speaker grill holes. It seems this is a newer version of the Dashes Direct Urethane. I give it an 8.5 out of 10. I'll add some photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by KevinK; 10-16-2017 at 12:10 PM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Blog Entries

Thanks for the update. Mine is getting borderline sketchy, I may need to go this route whether I like it or not.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Not sure what version mine is, but I bought it 2 years ago. Some of the holes weren't drilled all the way through as you mentioned. Also once installed, it sagged a little after the defrost vents by the windshield. I had to put some foam on there to lift it up. Still not perfect, but it looks ok. Unfortunately we don't have many options for a new dash pad. AND its pricey. I could have got a cap. painted it, and glued it on, but I thought this was a better alternative.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air