Close

Thread: Trolls

Default Trolls

How do we get rid of these internet advertising a holes? I keep blocking them but they just add a new name

FEP Member

Admin will probably have to IP block them.

FEP Supporter

I appreciate the effort and time the active admin that are still around put in. Seems the site owner is not around much if at all lately and I think they did a lot of the development, admin, and vBulletin stuff to keep things going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I appreciate the effort and time the active admin that are still around put in. Seems the site owner is not around much if at all lately and I think they did a lot of the development, admin, and vBulletin stuff to keep things going.
    *waves*

Actually, I'm trying to see about what kind of new anti-spam measures we can take. Spammers are always a moving target. We had stuff that helped a little for a long time. Now, once again, we're up against something else. May have to take the site down for a while to install some stuff.

In the meantime, keep reporting them, and we'll try to keep banning.

I've been reporting the posts as I see them. You would think that they would take the hint by now.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Blog Entries

"They" are bots, unfortunately. Programs, if you will, that just crawl around the Internet doing their damage. Think of them like viruses, but they don't infect your computer, they just create a nuisance for forums and those who peruse them.

FEP Power Member

What's the point of it any ways?

Raise your hand if you've clicked on internets ads in the past 15 years. Not me. The ONLY exceptions have been ads here for MC Machine, Latemodelrestoration, and one other site I can't recall at the moment.

The more predatory advertisers have become, the LESS I've clicked or even read their ads.

Hot dang! Skye does still check in here now and then!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Blog Entries

I'm trying to more than before. Survival has its costs.

Tried an installation of a plug-in that didn't quite work. I'll keep at it to see if I can get it going. :/

Over 1/2 the time the URLs have bad reputation. Extract vs google safe sites browsing or bounce the URLs against Clam-net or a reputation service. Will solve most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    What's the point of it any ways?

Raise your hand if you've clicked on internets ads in the past 15 years. Not me. The ONLY exceptions have been ads here for MC Machine, Latemodelrestoration, and one other site I can't recall at the moment.

The more predatory advertisers have become, the LESS I've clicked or even read their ads.
    That's my biggest question about it all. Why bother? Some of the time it's just a nonsense paragraph and no link! Similarly, I've been getting these phone calls lately, sometimes as many as 5-6 a day on my mobile number, and they'll usually do a thing where they'll call 3 times in a row one after another when I don't answer. That's pretty #$%^ing TWISTED that someone does that first of all, because it may result in you ignoring someone calling you who really needs help! Anyway, if you answer it, all it is is someone claiming to be calling from a hearing impaired service, then it just cuts off and hangs up! WTF?! It's like, well, that was just annoying! No point whatsoever! What is whoever progammed that trying to accomplish?! And with phones, there's no spam software, all you can do is block the numbers, but these #$%^ers must've somehow gotten ahold of EVERY inactive local number there IS, and they call from a different number every #$%^ing day!! Can you tell this makes me angry?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

My number has been spoofed. I get angry calls all the time from people wanting to know why I keep calling them. One guy said he was turning me into the fbi! It's a business number I have been using for 15 years so I can't change it. I too get local numbers calling, but there is just no-one there when you answer. Same deal, 3 to maybe 6 times a day. I block every one of them, but they keep calling

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    That's my biggest question about it all. Why bother? Some of the time it's just a nonsense paragraph and no link! Similarly, I've been getting these phone calls lately, sometimes as many as 5-6 a day on my mobile number, and they'll usually do a thing where they'll call 3 times in a row one after another when I don't answer. That's pretty #$%^ing TWISTED that someone does that first of all, because it may result in you ignoring someone calling you who really needs help! Anyway, if you answer it, all it is is someone claiming to be calling from a hearing impaired service, then it just cuts off and hangs up! WTF?! It's like, well, that was just annoying! No point whatsoever! What is whoever progammed that trying to accomplish?! And with phones, there's no spam software, all you can do is block the numbers, but these #$%^ers must've somehow gotten ahold of EVERY inactive local number there IS, and they call from a different number every #$%^ing day!! Can you tell this makes me angry?
    Sounds familiar. Here it's calls about solar and contractors wanting to schedule estimates for remodeling that I can't afford and am not ready to do.

I've started keeping a notepad handy. I take down the names of every company that calls, for the NEVER do business with them ever list. Then cuss them out and ask what part of national do not call registry they're too $#%^&ing stupid to understand.....then hang up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    My number has been spoofed. I get angry calls all the time from people wanting to know why I keep calling them. One guy said he was turning me into the fbi! It's a business number I have been using for 15 years so I can't change it. I too get local numbers calling, but there is just no-one there when you answer. Same deal, 3 to maybe 6 times a day. I block every one of them, but they keep calling
    Interesting. I wonder if that means they have a way to show whatever they want in the caller id field. Or maybe they use the annoying calls as a way to channel a call through your number?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Sounds familiar. Here it's calls about solar and contractors wanting to schedule estimates for remodeling that I can't afford and am not ready to do.

I've started keeping a notepad handy. I take down the names of every company that calls, for the NEVER do business with them ever list. Then cuss them out and ask what part of national do not call registry they're too $#%^&ing stupid to understand.....then hang up.
    I hate it so much. Even if it's a charity.

"Can i count on your contribution today?"
    "Nope"
    "Why not?"
    "Because you're using telemarketing"
    CLICK.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST