Close

Default JB Weld and engines

A few times in the past I've suggested using JB Weld in some situations where others might have went hmm. Stuff like fixing the threads on the bolt that holds down a carb. Or to cold weld a thread insert to the block in a cooling system.

i just wanted to share a video that shows why I don't think it was a completely insane idea.

https://youtu.be/587RuL45jS8

I've never taken it to that extreme, but I have used it to address problems where I couldn't see another way and had it work.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

And to think I had been saving for a set of aluminum heads!

Jb weld has its place but I've seen more fails then successes over the years as a car guy. I don't knock the guys who try but I'm thankful to have access to a TIG and MIG welder for steel and aluminum.

I've never had much luck with it, personally.

I've recently started using it, and it's pretty handy stuff! I haven't tried to use it to WELD though. Fun video!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I'm sure it has its place, but I've tried using it many times for thread repair and it never held. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I don't think so. I gave it plenty of cure time, didn't over-torqe, etc.

It worked on the carb bolts on my intake years ago. Filled it, drilled it, tapped it, chased it with the stud I was going to use with a notch cut in the end. Worked it in and out slowly taking my time. Got it in and it held up for a long time

I've seen JB Weld used many times, sometimes as a "get you by in a pinch" and sometimes it was intended as a permanent fix by a true believer. Only a few times did it really hold up well and those places seemed indestructible. Mostly is just makes a mess, comes back apart, and is more trouble than it is worth compared to a correct repair. I learned as a teenager that it usually takes longer to make a half assed repair than it does to fix it correctly the first time after you factor in all of the refixes that are usually necessary. This isn't intended as a slight to those who have had good results with JBWeld, just sharing my experience and opinion.
    Last edited by slow84lx; 10-24-2017 at 09:18 PM.

Used JB on the stock 4bbl carb where the fuel typically leaks from that end plug/cap next to where the feed tube goes to the secondary bowl.
    Held up for about 8 years of daily driving but couldn't handle being parked for 15 years.

Last resort is a good term for it. That's when I've used it - as a last resort. I'll never trust it for anything where it's not obvious when it breaks