Close

Default 86 GT Convert Weiand Supercharger install and compartment customize

Long time lurker but this is my first thread. I put this 86 together about 6 years ago with a 1990 5.0 short block, Edelbrock 2.02 Performer heads, Performer RPM intake, Holley 600 carb and Crower cam 218 duration .550 lift to match the TCI AOD with 2600 converter. 8.8 with 3.73 gears. I did everything except the paint which was done by a local pro. Installed Maximum Motorsports roll bar and unknown brand race seats that came with the car. New carpet, painted dash and console. TMI basic door panel kits and fabbed a rear seat delete. Cut and glued black carpet on seat delete and inside quarter trim panels.

I enjoyed it this way for few years but always regretted not painting the engine compartment. It looked great until the hood was opened. It also ran great but I wanted more power. I thought about a Windsor stroker and even a Coyote swap. I finally decided to bolt on a Weiand blower with a Holley 750. I'm very satisfied with this combo. It has a lot of streetable power and torque and wasn't too hard to tune.

So here is the before photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2000 Explorer engine with Edelbrock intake, Holley 600, TCI AOD, 3.73 gears, Max Mtr sport roll bar, subframe connectors, and rear control arms. /I]

Here is after photo. If anyone is interested, I'll post photos of build.
    2000 Explorer engine with Edelbrock intake, Holley 600, TCI AOD, 3.73 gears, Max Mtr sport roll bar, subframe connectors, and rear control arms. /I]

Couple more photos

Last winter I pulled the engine and started prepping the compartment. Those panels are from Scott Rods. I sanded and prime the aluminum and steel with PPG DP40 epoxy primer. Painted with Duplicolor spray cans in Ford code E4 red and Eastwood catalyzed clear also from a spray can. My thinking was this would be less expensive and easier than buying bulk auto paint and spraying it through a gun. Turned out this was false economy because those little spray cans add up. But it looks good and seems to be durable enough so far.
    Last edited by Geezerstang; 10-13-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Looks good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    Looks good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks

Cleaned and painted lower engine parts black. Installed Weiand/Holley intake and supercharger and aluminum accessory brackets then bolted it in car.

Blog Entries

What arrangement did you use for a serpentine belt tensioner?
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

I hid the wiring under the aluminum panels, moved the battery to the trunk, and modified the lower support to move the 4 core aluminum radiator down and forward to clear the blower drive. A stainless radiator hose was needed to clear everything. I mounted a tempo dual electric fan and a 130 amp alternator. I stayed with the Ford Duraspark distributor with an MSD 6a unit and Ford Racing wires. I first mounted the Holley 600 that was on the engine before the blower just to. Get it running.

At this point, I started thinking about what to do with the hood because the carb is now about four inches higher. I decided to cut a hole and let the air cleaner stick out like a shaker hood. The problem is the offset of the engine would ruin the looks. The string in photo is the centerline and I bought an offset air cleaner so the hole in hood was in the middle.

I measured many times, taped it off and cut it out with a jig saw. Luckily it fit perfect and looked good to me but now the blower pulley hit the hood when I closed it. I might have lowered the engine with different mounts or space the k member to gain some clearance, but since there is one hole I'll just cut another. After a 3 inch hole saw, I have clearance and you can see the blower pulley spinning. Neat. My hood is a conversation starter at events. Everyone has an idea about scoops or cowl hoods. I like it as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    What arrangement did you use for a serpentine belt tensioner?
    I found a photo online and stole this guys idea to mount the tensioner to the blower snout. It has worked well so far

Looks like you did something similar.
    Last edited by Geezerstang; 10-13-2017 at 10:48 PM.