Close

Default Drg Racr is Back

Been gone a while, but I'm back in the game. I've been laying low since I sold my 80 Fairmont wagon. I should have kept it, and I lost track of where it went. If anyone knows where it ended up, let me know. 80 Fairmont wagon, 2.3L, 4 speed manual, rust free, red with red interior, I slid an 8.8" rear with a 3.73 locker under it.
    Anyway, I'm picking up a buddy's old high school car that's been sitting for almost 25 years. It's an 85 Merc Capri RS, red with red interior (what's with me and red??), 5.0L EFI, auto, sunroof. He claims that this car is an early EFI prototype, according to the Ford dealer he bought it at. I'm gonna see if it can be saved. It was never driven in the winter, but it's been sitting in a dirt floor barn.
    I looked at the sticky with production numbers, I know 1985 is a bit vague with the breakdown. Any ideas on how many 5.0's had the EFI that year? Ford told my friend about 500 had it in 1985.
    If it is a low production car, I might restore it. Otherwise, I might swap out for a 351W stroker, mini-tub it and get back into racing.
    Comments??

Welcome back! I'm curious to find out more about the capri. I have zero to offer in terms of the originality or productions numbers, but I'd love to hear more.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think all 5.0 auto cars where EFI in 85. Standard still had carb.
    1986 ACS McLaren Capri
    1971 Mustang
    1968 F100

I saw that too, that the 5.0L EFI cars were all auto. I prefer the manual trans, but I can live with the auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Drg racr View Post
    I looked at the sticky with production numbers, I know 1985 is a bit vague with the breakdown. Any ideas on how many 5.0's had the EFI that year? Ford told my friend about 500 had it in 1985.
    If it is a low production car, I might restore it. Otherwise, I might swap out for a 351W stroker, mini-tub it and get back into racing.
    Comments??
    There were definitely way more than just 500 CFI/AOD Mustangs made in 85. Although I don't remember the exact numbers offhand, they are not rare. Uncommon, yes. I kept all of the original driveline from my 85 GT with the CFI/AOD, but I don't forsee it ever going back in. It has a nicely built 306 in it, with plans for a 427W someday. Only you can decide what direction you want to take it!

Oh yeah, any pics???
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.