Close

Hybrid View

Default Radio preset repair.

Does anyone have a link on what it takes to replace the belt for the radio presets. 1984 premium am/fm cassette. Also would probably tune up the cassette player with new belt too. Also where to purchase these parts.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

I have two that need the band replaced. Someone save us.
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Great link on the parts. I’m going to see if I can find a junk radio to disassemble before I try taking mine apart.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

Carola Radio in Edmonton Alberta rebuilt 2 am/fm/cassettes for me. Did a great Job 708-922-4311
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    65 Cadillac Calais 4DR Hardtop
    02 Thunderbird

you know, growing up with analog radios my whole life I never considered that there were belts in there controlling the presets and tuner. I mean, I knew it wasn't fairy magic moving the tuner indicator back and forth, but I never actually considered how it worked... If you don't want someone to rebuild it for you, there must be electronics repair places around that can point you to the right source, or even sell you the parts. I like doing things myself, so I can understand you wanting to take on the challenge. Once it's apart, though, a professional might be able to replace some other things that are prone to failing, or wear out, like the backlights inside, amplifiers, they might even be able to do some upgrades for you, like adding a pigtail for a secondary input like a phone or iPod so you can use your original radio with something other than a cassette tape! Just a thought, good luck with fixing it!

Oh, you might also consider a junkyard, I'm not sure which vehicles these radios were put in, but it wouldn't be like Ford to have a specialty radio for just one car. I'd bet you can find the same unit in lots of cars and trucks, might be easier than fixing the one you have.