Close

Thread: 4 to 5 lug

Default 4 to 5 lug

Hello guys and gals
    I got a 1983 mustang 5.0 notch factory 4 speed I just wanna do the rotor swap from 4 to 5 I did on my 1990 5.0 and it was the Lincoln Mark eight rotors. Is it the same ones or know please help wanna put my welds on thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1983 has a different spindle that takes smaller rotors (10") which uses Set12 and Set17 inner/outer wheel bearings and a smaller inner seal compared to the 87-93 5.0 cars.

The 87-93 5.0 cars that used Set12 outer and set 35 (?) inner on larger (11") front rotors.

Your 83 has a spindle that is the same as the 4/6/8 cyl GT and LX cars up to 86. The 87-93 4cyl LX cars were also the same.

There are a few options for you. I initially used 1983 2.0L 4cyl Ranger rotors with the corresponding dust caps. I ran a 17x8 1995 GT tribar rim. The rim cleared the strut but the wheel weight did not. I had to rebalance using stick-on. It would have been better to use a 1/8" to 1/4" wheel spacer instead as my 245/45/17's rubbed when turning sharp.

Rock Auto has crazy inexpensive carbon fiber pads available on closeout right now. I've found through using them on my son's 1986 GT that they make a HUGE difference in stopping power on these small rotor cars.

You could go to an SVO spindle (same as 82-83 Continental) them use the larger rotors you used on your 90. The steering geometry benefits from improved Ackerman compared to the 79-86 or 87-93 Mustangs.

The better option is SN95 parts as it allows for more wheel options and it's easier to go to the Mcparts store and buy good brake pads.

Currently I run SN95 1995 spindles on X2 balljoints with 12" Baer drilled/slotted rotors and 1999GT dual piston calipers and braided lines and SN95 rear brakes with Summit adjustable proportioning valve and MarkVII master cylinder. Used a line adapter at the master cyl and on the passenger brake line. Both caster/camber plates and camber bolts were required to get enough negative camber with the narrow early fox K member with the fox control arms.

i had to gut the proportioning valve and use a plug from LMR on it.
    Last edited by erratic50; 03-03-2019 at 01:40 PM.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bonosnova View Post
    Hello guys and gals
    I got a 1983 mustang 5.0 notch factory 4 speed I just wanna do the rotor swap from 4 to 5 I did on my 1990 5.0 and it was the Lincoln Mark eight rotors. Is it the same ones or know please help wanna put my welds on thanks
    (1) You didn't use Mark 8 rotors, since the Mark 8 isn't related to the Fox at all. You used Mark 7 rotors.
    (2) No, you can't do it the same way on your '83. The Mark 7 rotors are a direct swap onto the '87-93 V8 cars, but as stated above, your '83 knuckles and rotors are not the same. You'll either need to update to newer V8 knuckles, or do an SN95 swap.

Wow thanks guys yes it was mark 7. My bad
    I've found this place on line

My assumption was you needed inexpensive parts ASAP. That is why I said to use rotors from a Ford Ranger.

They worked great for me.

Rearend wise you need two donor vehicles to get the 29" 5 lug ranger or Aerostar axles and 5 lug drum brakes to do the job cheaply.

But notice the sticky post with the ultimate 5 lug conversion info.....

Can you use Bullitt wheel with Ranger discs and still use the center cap?

FEP Super Member

No, the center cap will not fit with the longer spindle .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I have everything you need, I went back to 4 lug last year when LMR came out with the TRX wheels and now would love to sell my entire 5 lug conversion front and rear to you, lets talk, PM me

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    My assumption was you needed inexpensive parts ASAP. That is why I said to use rotors from a Ford Ranger.

They worked great for me.

Rearend wise you need two donor vehicles to get the 29" 5 lug ranger or Aerostar axles and 5 lug drum brakes to do the job cheaply.

But notice the sticky post with the ultimate 5 lug conversion info.....
    Erratic, you're usually good at responding...What year of ranger can I use rotors from? Was thinking it was any 83-87 2wd truck, but haven't been able to confirm or verify why that's stuck in my head.

Should be 83-92 Rangers with the 4 cylinder engine. That is if you are sticking with the 79-86 spindles and brakes.

If you are using 87-93 V8 spindles then you can use the 85-91 Mark VII front rotors with the larger Aero brakes.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-5-lug-article
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Missed the ask. I had posted it up above already.

Trey answered it looks like. I agree — 83 2.0L 2wd Ranger is what I used on my car initially. Bearing and seal and dust cap details are above for you.