Close

Default 79 door handle swap?

Hey guys its been a while since i have been here i sold my 86 gt and 81 notch back in 08 and a few years later ended up with a 04 cobra vert. Well i have sold that and now back in the foureyed club with a 79 notch factory 5.0 car but curently running a 351w. My interior question i have complete MINT black interior from an 83. The interior in my 79 is dyed black and has some cracks id love to use my 83 door pads and i know the door handles are in a differant location can or has anyone swaped the door handle linkages in a 79 door to the 80-86 placment? Id like to use my 83 door pads.

There are a few door shells from 80 that have both door handle locations pre-cut. I had never seen any until last Friday when I paid 2ndChanceCobra a visit.

Perhaps the easiest way (if you can find such a door) is to trace the cutouts for both along with a few other reference points that are common between types of doors.

You should be able to locate the required holes pretty decently by tracing a newer door with shared/common reference points.

As for the rest of what's needed - I'll leave it to those who have extensive experience with both types. Personally I've only ever owned 85-86 and 89 Mustangs and haven't spent as much time helping with other years as is needed to be particularly dangerous.

As mentioned you can move the handles up. Cutting the shell is the biggest hurdle and PITA. Using a donor door to help locate will be your best option to the handles located properly.

You will need all the latch hardware from a donor also since the rods, etc are all different. Now some of the information I have had and seen says the 79- early 80 door latch mechanism is unique to those years and the lower door handle. Then again I have seen other information that says they are the same from 79-93. When I compared a 79 latch to a 82 latch, I didn't see any difference, but I didn't try to swap one for the other, so basically it's about as clear as mud! Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    As mentioned you can move the handles up. Cutting the shell is the biggest hurdle and PITA. Using a donor door to help locate will be your best option to the handles located properly.

You will need all the latch hardware from a donor also since the rods, etc are all different. Now some of the information I have had and seen says the 79- early 80 door latch mechanism is unique to those years and the lower door handle. Then again I have seen other information that says they are the same from 79-93. When I compared a 79 latch to a 82 latch, I didn't see any difference, but I didn't try to swap one for the other, so basically it's about as clear as mud! Good Luck!
    The other difference is the lock rod inside which does not exit out the top of the door panel like later years. The 79 lock button comes forward out the front of the arm rest and the latch mechanism is different to allow this.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    The other difference is the lock rod inside which does not exit out the top of the door panel like later years. The 79 lock button comes forward out the front of the arm rest and the latch mechanism is different to allow this.
    Sorry I didn't mention that too, but yes I am aware of that on my PC.

I assumed that was one of the major differences and it makes sense to me that the latches are different, but I was surprised that when I compared them side by side, they were virtually identical. I still believe due to the lock rod location and the different door handle location that they are not interchangeable, but I have not fully investigated them or tried to make them work. Thanks for noting this.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Ok thanks guys i have an 81 notch for a donor car! This will be one of my winter projects.

Edit trying to figure out how to post pics from my phone
    Last edited by speedfreak; 10-09-2017 at 08:08 PM.

Post. Edit the post. Manage attachments. Add attachment. Hit + then select the photo and hit upload. Tap insert. Tap done. Save

best regards!
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

For reference, here is the difference between the latch mechanisms for the forward vs top exit lock rod. It is only the interior lock rod that is different.

79 latch on the right.
    Name:  2017-10-10 12.50.12 resize.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  176.8 KB
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 10-10-2017 at 06:46 PM.